BP/WINGS with OW students????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ron,

I'd just prefer to start students out with BP/wings and a regular octo reg setup with the backup on a necklace.

Take care.

Mike

Originally posted by Ron Brandt
Hey Mike ! I could not agree more ! That's why I called PADI to get approval. I will hopefully be buying a couple of sets of wing /BP sets soon .

I will let you know how it goes.

Ron

Sorry for the stupid Newbie question, but what is a
BP/wings configuration? Does it come in more than one brand name? How does it compare with a back-inflation BC?

:confused:

Actually a "wing" is rear inflation but what we have been refering to in this discussion is wing/BP or wing + Backplate. THe backplate in this system is made from aluminum , stainless steel or abs plastic with a continuious harness made from 2" nylon webbing with 3 D rings and a buckle.

The system can be entirely home made if you have access to a metal shop . Brand names include Halcyon,Dive Rite , OMS and Sea Pro.

The advantage of this system over other rear inflation bc's such as a Zeagle is that the system is steamlined , the backplate itself can be configured for single or double tanks and there is NO clutter. Ditchable weight pockets are also available. The one piece webbing affords a no failure point approach. The are no fastex connectors.

Removal and replacement of scuba unit is generally over the head with this set up. This system is also refered to on some threads as Hogarthian ( Bill Hogarth Main) or DIR (Doing it Right)

The system is generally configured with a 5 ft or 7 ft hose comming around the divers neck to the second stage in the divers mouth and the backup reg (actually the primary) on a bungie or sergical tubing necklace around the neck and dangling just under the chin.

Hope this helps

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom