BP/Wing for small female 5'0"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and Halcyon now does custom colored wings! $50 extra, but I'd do it for myself if I were going to buy another wing.

It's 3 lbs.
It's 14" tall and 9" wide at the base.
The Oxy 18 lb. Mach V with the small Contour is a marriage made in heaven.
No STA, no added or bolted on parts, super simple.

It would offset the lightness of an aluminum 80 just right.

Thanks Eric. At the risk of a thread hijack, though I hope the OP may find the discussion useful, I have been looking at the idea of a BPW and find the Contour beautiful and intriguing but I am already overweighted with my travel back inflate BCD, steel tank and other paraphernalia. I am concerned that the addition of a metal backplate, even the lighter contour would just be too much weight and all nonditchable.

Thanks Eric. At the risk of a thread hijack, though I hope the OP may find the discussion useful, I have been looking at the idea of a BPW and find the Contour beautiful and intriguing but I am already overweighted with my travel back inflate BCD, steel tank and other paraphernalia. I am concerned that the addition of a metal backplate, even the lighter contour would just be too much weight and all nonditchable.
At 3 lbs. it comes in as one of the lightest 1/8" stainless plates. All the others, even the small sizes will be heavier than that. Your other option is to go Aluminum or kydex.
Until I pull a mold off the small Contour and pop out an exact replica in Carbon Fiber will there be a rigid super strong plate that is under 1 LB.

The small freedom contour where do I find them? What harness to get and if they make a small Pink wing she would love that! As for the wing one that will have enough lift for a hp100 tank as that would be the largest she uses.

Thanks I was just looking at the wings. Will an 18lb be enough lift to get a 100hp up? or should I get the 30?

What I am really wondering is why is a petite female using a HP 100? I would think that she could easily get deep into decompression with that much gas. Are you wearing doubles to keep up with her? On average, small women have sac rates like a sparrow.

She does... She also gets cold easily so she wears her 7mm alot which requires alot of weight. TO offset when we go deep I have her take a 100HP. Her current BC has 30lbs of lift and she is fine with that. I just want to make sure the Oxy 30 would be ok with that.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

What harness to get?

Most people just use 2" webbing and some D-ring hardware for the harness. Eric can help you there. He can also help with wing sizing, but I would be very surprised if 18 Lbs isn’t more than enough.

Another thought is to let her use a smaller cylinder and add some weight pockets to the cam bands. That way she won’t have to deal with such a long cylinder and can sit down on a bench more comfortably. It isn’t unusual for a small woman to be able to use an Aluminum 65 and still have gas when a guy has burned up a 100.

Back
Top Bottom