BP/Wing for $200 new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thethumper

Reaction score
Though I'm not diving dbls yet I was offered a NEW (from the factory) DiveRite Al BP, Harness & Classic wing set up for $200 from a LDS.

I will be diving wet for awhile, but will need a better (than my TPII) set up for cave in the next few months. I was Thinking of using my Rec wing that's on my TPII for now, until I start diving dbls. I use 6# to be neutral in the spring/cavern now. Where would I be weight wise, by switching from the TPII harness?

Who is giving you such a deal?

Weights are not going to be very different, I would try 2# less assuming everything else is the same, but the only way to know for sure is to get wet.

leadweight once bubbled...
Who is giving you such a deal?

Weights are not going to be very different, I would try 2# less assuming everything else is the same, but the only way to know for sure is to get wet.

This is one of those.... "You take care of me, I take care of you" deals. Thank goodness for good LDS relations.

The only change @ 1st should be from the TPII harness to the Al BP & webbing, w/the Rec from the TPII & I will probably need a stablizer for single tank....

I would keep the TP2 harness for single tank diving rather than go out and spend money on a STA. Or get the classic wing, Ebay the Rec wing and buy a Travel wing for the TP2 which probably won't cost you much considering the pricing you are getting on the other stuff. Then you have two complete rigs, one optimized for doubles and the other for single tank.

I would keep the TP2 harness for single tank diving rather than go out and spend money on a STA. Or get the classic wing, Ebay the Rec wing and buy a Travel wing for the TP2 which probably won't cost you much considering the pricing you are getting on the other stuff. Then you have two complete rigs, one optimized for doubles and the other for single tank.

That's just my point. I will have to seperate rigs, BP/Harness/Classic ($200) & the complete TPII w/the Rec wing. I was going to use the Rec on the BP/Harness until I start using dbls.. At that point I can put the Classic back on the BP/harness. I was hoping to use the BP/harness/Rec for singles, just to get set up & dive it a few times w/a single, before I start w/dbls....

Does any of this make sense?:confused:

Makes sense, but I think you meant to say that you would put the Rec wing back on the TP2 since when you buy the classic it frees up the Rec wing that was temporarily on the BP. Or that is what I think you mean. After that you could look into swaping out the rec wing (now on TP2) for a travel wing (fot the TP2), if you felt like it.

Makes sense, but I think you meant to say that you would put the Rec wing back on the TP2 since when you buy the classic it frees up the Rec wing that was temporarily on the BP. Or that is what I think you mean. After that you could look into swaping out the rec wing (now on TP2) for a travel wing (fot the TP2), if you felt like it.

I'm gonna try to lay out this bag a snakes in a straight line.

I have a TPII w/Rec.
I am buying a DR BP/Harness & Classic wing for $200
I can't use the Classic for singles, so I intend to take the Rec off of my TPII and replace the Classic w/the Rec so I can dive BP/Rec w/a single tank, until I start using dbls.
I don't currently own dbls now
When I get them, I will put the Classic back on the BP/harness.
I will then put the Rec back on the TPII where it started.
I will need some way to affix the single tank to the BP/Rec wing set up.

Buy it.
That's almost cost.
The rec wing doesn't work very well with doubles, unless they are aluminum. It's more about the design. Look at the Rec wing and compare it to the shape and size of the classic. The classic is far superior to the Rec for that application due to the width and general curvature of the bladder. The shell is also constructed slightly more rugged on the Classic. A plate is gonna be $40 anyway. Also, if you are diving wet, you will not have enough lift when you begin to stage or carry deco bottles unless you are diving an ACB plate instead of Aluminum.
Cheers and safe diving

Divesherpa once bubbled...
...Also, if you are diving wet, you will not have enough lift when you begin to stage or carry deco bottles unless you are diving an ACB plate instead of Aluminum.
Cheers and safe diving

I'm not sure I understand you Sherpa.... From what I understand the Al & the (I think you mean) ABS are only a few onces diff. in weight. I am diving wet for now.

As for the Rec wing. This is 1 of the old ones. It has the same shell material as the newer Classics & has a elastic strap around the lower lobes of the wing to prevent wrap. I've been using it on singles for nearly 8 years. But I will be goin to the Classic full time once I buy my doubles. I'm looking @ the lighter PST HP tanks. I can't take all that weight (LP) any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom