BP/W vs Travel weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just brought back memories of how horrible the Aeris Jetpack was in terms of tank flop. Nice idea, poor execution.
Yeah, there were no vertical "ribs" like there are on the HOG wing, and it seemed like I had to re-adjust to try to get the tank back in the middle pretty frequently when compared to the HOG. Part of it might have also been due to the horseshoe "wing" vs the donut style on the HOG.

.... total buoyancy control system ....
Tell us you were open water certified under SSI without telling us you were open water certified through SSI. :wink:
In all seriousness, is weight or bulk the issue? I travel with a SS BP/STA, 18 lb wing, harness, and 2 cylinder straps. I'm guessing it is 10 lbs-ish total. With a 5 mil and Deep 6 Eddy fins, I am properly weighted, including being comfortably horizontal in the water.

Now I will shore dive in Maui more than I'll dive from boats, so it is nice that I don't need to rent weights when I go there. But that's just me.

Your decision comes down to your priorities for compactness, cost, weight, and convenience. My priorities could be completely different than yours.

Tell us you were open water certified under SSI without telling us you were open water certified through SSI. :wink:
In all seriousness, is weight or bulk the issue? I travel with a SS BP/STA, 18 lb wing, harness, and 2 cylinder straps. I'm guessing it is 10 lbs-ish total. With a 5 mil and Deep 6 Eddy fins, I am properly weighted, including being comfortably horizontal in the water.

Now I will shore dive in Maui more than I'll dive from boats, so it is nice that I don't need to rent weights when I go there. But that's just me.

Your decision comes down to your priorities for compactness, cost, weight, and convenience. My priorities could be completely different than yours.
I haven't tried a 5mm on this setup, but with my Worthington HP100s, and a 3mm wetsuit, my last dive I used 6lbs of lead, I was a little over weighted. Otherwise I use 10lbs with AL80 and 3mm.

This would be my first foray into BP/W. How long did it take to get all the accessories you wanted and dialed in if you don't mind me asking?
Well diving is a journey and I am still making adjustments in my BPW after 130 dives on it in the last 17 months. For example on my recent trip to Bonaire I switched my Large Utility Pocket which holds my PLB Personal Locator Beacon from my waist strap on the Left side to the Right. Where it was previously it was interfering with clipping my 19 cu ft Pony at my Left hip D ring. I also dropped 2 pounds in my 3mm fullsuit setup.

As far as the HOG system it couldn't be easier to add weight pockets and a Large Utility Pocket and an SMB pocket and get a trilobyte to put on the waistband. They have detailed videos on how to set it up. Once you set it up you may find reasons to move the D rings up or down on the harness for optimum setup for corrugated hose, light and accessories.

I'm sure other systems would work well also but the HOG is what I got.

This would be my first foray into BP/W. How long did it take to get all the accessories you wanted and dialed in if you don't mind me asking?

I too have a HOG TBCS with 32# wing and soft plate. This follows several years with a Sherwood Avid, and then Zeagle Covert, and would never go back. The ability to customize configuration on the TBCS, or any bp/w, to meet your current dive profile and gear preferences is priceless. I have had my bp/w for 2.5 years, and have already changed the placement of numerous pieces of gear at least four times depending on where I am diving, and what I feel I need to carry. Frankly, I am not sure I will ever get everything dialed in on my HOG rig because I am always looking for, and trying to learn, better ways to do things for varying dive locations and profiles. Although the TBCS shoulder pads require some extra weight (have no idea how much), I elected to kept them because with two shoulder replacements, I found the pads held the shoulder straps up in a position that greatly eased getting into the harness. Also, before I knew better, I bought a SS STA, only to find out through experimentation that my tank flopped around a lot less without the STA when securing the tank to the soft plate and wing. You are going to love the flexibility.

I actually got certified under PADI in the mid 90s. This is the name Edge / HOG use for the setup. It's a mouth full. I finally ordered one and I see why BPWs are so highly recommended in general. Nearly infinitely customizable and amazing freedom of movement.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I ordered the HOG BP/W with the flex plate an 32lb wing since I'll be doing warm and cold water dives with it. I've only been able to get pool time with it since my drysuit is out for new seals. I still need to work on trim but such an improvement over jacket style BCDs I'd been using for years.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I ordered the HOG BP/W with the flex plate an 32lb wing since I'll be doing warm and cold water dives with it. I've only been able to get pool time with it since my drysuit is out for new seals. I still need to work on trim but such an improvement over jacket style BCDs I'd been using for years.
Great setup! I use the same setup and used 4# (down form 6# last time when diving 3mm and a steel 100 in salt water. Very comfortable and configurable. I think you'll enjoy it!

I actually got certified under PADI in the mid 90s. This is the name Edge / HOG use for the setup. It's a mouth full. I finally ordered one and I see why BPWs are so highly recommended in general. Nearly infinitely customizable and amazing freedom of movement.
Oh interesting. I've never been a fan of SSI's approach to discussing dive equipment. The term dive kit is universally understood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom