BP/W newbie questions about the DSS rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShagMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
background:

I'm a fairly new diver, but have really taken into diving strongly (18 dives, 9 hours, in 3 months).

I'm 6'1", 220lbs, yes I'm a little overweight, need about 4lbs. to be neutral w/ no gear on in a pool.

I currently dive a Seaquest Balance BC. It's borderline too large (XL size) and it's not secure at all, along with being bouyant, which I can't stand. I do utilize the integrated weight features and use the catch pocket a lot.

I dive Worthington HP100's.

I do a wide variety of dives, from tropical dives, to spring diving, so I can vary from 3mm shorty or rash/shorts, up to a 5/4mm suit for spring diving in the winter.

I'm looking strongly at a BP/W setup, and the DSS setup is looking good.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

Here's some questions to the crowd, and to Tobin!

1) I'm thinking I need the SS plate even for tropical/summer use... I'll be about the right amount of weight negitavely, at the end of the dive, due to my natural bouyancy. Does that sound about right?

2) I don't want to get into a discussion about integrated weights vs. non, but I want to start with whatever I get from #1, and add weight for winter use. I'm thinking that the BP weight plates are good, but I already have a bunch of SeaPearl leads, and I probably don't want any more weight on my back as it is... so that means strapped around my waist. Can I add these to the waist strap portion of my hog harness? I'm thinking if nothing else, I can cannabalize a XS Scuba weight belt for it's pockets and add those. Or do I need to stick to a seperate weight belt? What about the crotch strap getting in the way?

3) What's my best option for replacing a zipper catch pocket on my BC? I'm thinking I can just clip on a small mesh catch bag onto my waist, does that sound about right?

4) and lastly... I do a LOT of short/beach dives... now remember I'm a little large in the chest/peck area... should I just try out the basic hog, and add the chest plates later if the straps don't line up on my shoulders that great? Do you recommend the basic hog in pretty much all cases?

Thanks mucho for your responses guys!

I know Tobin will be along shortly to provide you with a set of answers garnered from far more knowledge of his own equipment and suitable alternatives, but let me just shoot you some quick thoughts.

ShagMan:
background:

1) I'm thinking I need the SS plate even for tropical/summer use... I'll be about the right amount of weight negitavely, at the end of the dive, due to my natural bouyancy. Does that sound about right?

I'm a 3mm full in freshwater w/ a single alu80, I require about 4 lbs to be negative. Although sometimes I wear a kydex plate in this scenario (especially when travelling), I really appreciate the SS plate, not only in and of itself for a bit more ballast, but for the accountrements that Tobin has designed to work with it. When you're saying you need 4 lbs to be negative with no gear on, I assume you mean without exposure protection also. In that case, adding any exposure protection will definitely add at least a few more pounds of positive buoyancy, increasing the amount of ballast you'll need - even for something as modest as a 3mm shorty (and especially for the 5mm you say you sometimes use).

2) I don't want to get into a discussion about integrated weights vs. non, but I want to start with whatever I get from #1, and add weight for winter use. I'm thinking that the BP weight plates are good, but I already have a bunch of SeaPearl leads, and I probably don't want any more weight on my back as it is... so that means strapped around my waist. Can I add these to the waist strap portion of my hog harness? I'm thinking if nothing else, I can cannabalize a XS Scuba weight belt for it's pockets and add those. Or do I need to stick to a seperate weight belt? What about the crotch strap getting in the way?

I'm partial to my SeaPearl hard weights just as much as the next guy, but I *hate* lead around my waist. The point about the matching accountrements for the DSS stainless plate I mentioned earlier? Yeah, the weight plates, specifically, are to what I was referring. The greatest thing since sliced bread since you can bolt them on and take them off easily without disturbing any of the webbed harness. The extra ballast located on the BP may help or hinder your trim, depending on your configuration, but a few pounds around the waist can help fix this. Picking the kit w/ the SS BP and lead BP weights up from the ground can be a chore, but it's far better once it's on the diver than having 14 lbs of lead around the waist.

As far as threading the weights directly onto the waist-belt portion of the harness; you can do it if your mid-section is big enough to have enough plenty of room for things like the buckle, can lights if you might wear one, knife, etc. It will make putting on the waist strap of your kit more difficult and causes some other encumbrances that may make it a less-than-ideal solution. If you do need more weight than just the BP + weight plates, I'd say go with a separate weight belt. I've never had the crotch strap get in the way for me, and I've put the belt on over and under the harness waist-belt.

3) What's my best option for replacing a zipper catch pocket on my BC? I'm thinking I can just clip on a small mesh catch bag onto my waist, does that sound about right?
I'll let someone with more experience with regard to this answer. I really have no experience to speak from.

4) and lastly... I do a LOT of short/beach dives... now remember I'm a little large in the chest/peck area... should I just try out the basic hog, and add the chest plates later if the straps don't line up on my shoulders that great? Do you recommend the basic hog in pretty much all cases?
Go with the basic hog. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised, and won't spend as much money. As much as Tobin might stand to make by selling everyone who orders from him an "upgrade" from Hog to Deluxe harness, he does just the opposite from what I've seen - and for more than one good reason. If you do want to ever go the Deluxe, you can always just DIY a quick-clip or two on to the webbing of the hog later down the road, or purchase Tobin's Deluxe harness. I'd just hate to see you get a Deluxe harness, not like the way it feels and end up going the Hog in the long-run anyhow, when you could have gotten away with the cheaper (and usually more preferred) route to begin with.

Good luck. Tobin will definitely get you fixed up.

-Michael

I will agree with all that Michael said. I have two DSS setups. One for singles and one for doubles. I use the weight plates for singles with my dry suit and with an al80 with my 5 mil. If i need to add extra weight I use a standard belt with the XS pockets mounted flap down. Usually the amt in these is small so even if they did open accidentally it would not cause an uncontrolled ascent. The crotch strap is a non issue since you wear the belt under the strap. There is no reason to ditch at depth no matter what the agencies tell you and on the surface it's easy enough to undo the weight belt and get it off since you don't need the crotch strap so tight it's dividing the boys. With the xs pouches you can also open one and drop a little lead without dumping the whole belt. And as Michael said i would advise against putting the pouches on the waist strap of the harness because it clutters it up and reduces the space for a can light, argon bottle etc. As for pockets dive rite makes ones that slide onto the belt, and one that I wear on the weight belt that also fastens to my thigh. The best solution is to glue thigh pockets onto your suits. Phil Ellis at divesports has some that sell for 21 bucks and work very well. I have 2 of them. one on my wet suit and will be adding the second to it or the drysuit just have not decided which yet. BC pockets are pretty much useless with heavy suits and are usually in places that you have to bend your arm at an unnatural angle to get anything in or out. Go with thigh pockets.

ShagMan:
background:

I'm a fairly new diver, but have really taken into diving strongly (18 dives, 9 hours, in 3 months).

I'm 6'1", 220lbs, yes I'm a little overweight, need about 4lbs. to be neutral w/ no gear on in a pool.

I currently dive a Seaquest Balance BC. It's borderline too large (XL size) and it's not secure at all, along with being bouyant, which I can't stand. I do utilize the integrated weight features and use the catch pocket a lot.

I dive Worthington HP100's.

I do a wide variety of dives, from tropical dives, to spring diving, so I can vary from 3mm shorty or rash/shorts, up to a 5/4mm suit for spring diving in the winter.

I'm looking strongly at a BP/W setup, and the DSS setup is looking good.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

Here's some questions to the crowd, and to Tobin!

Josh,

Michael and Jim have done an excellent job here already answering your questions.

No doubt you would benefit from the negative buoyancy of a SS plate, you might also need the weight plates, but I need to know more before I make that recommendation.

There are number of slip on pockets you can add to a harness, but as Jim pointed out thigh pockets are the better solution.

The hog harness is my first choice. Most people will learn to use it and love it. Inthe unlikely event you aren't one of them you can always add a QR to one shoulder strap, just a buckle and a trip to the shoemaker.

I need to know: what is the heaviest exposure suit you are using?

How much total lead do you carry when using this Exposure suit with a specific tank?

For example I use 22 lbs with a 5 mm suit and an AL80. If you are using steel tanks I need the size, pressure and maker.

Tobin

Thanks for your answers Tobin... what I'll probably do is just give you a call as soon as I get back from the Caymans in a few weeks... sounds like I'll get a basic SS setup, I'll just have to talk with you about what wing to get... probably the 30 since I'll take the recommendation of the guys here and do a seperate weight belt for the extra winter lead for the heavier suit.

Back
Top Bottom