Bp/w 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't aware of fabric backplates! Thank you for showing me something new.
You might want to add that one major reason to go with a Bp/wing, is to gain a stable platform that holds the tank to the diver's back, as if it was part of the diver--with no flopping around. If you were to use a fabric "backplate", sort of an oxymoron, you would now have an unstable foundation for the tank to be attached to...the diver could move one way, and then feel the tank moving around on his back, hopefully to regain it's position soon...this flopping around is undesirable, and why a fabric "backplate" should be considered a defective choice. You could probably make the harness out of paper also, but that does not mean you "should"... :)

That they do which is a little confusing to me given the plethora of info very easily available.

There sure is. I have done tons of research into this over the summer, since I over research everything. I have learned more about BP/W than I thought I would. Funny how little some of the staff at my LDS knew about it though. This post is a good basic starting point though.

You might want to add that one major reason to go with a Bp/wing, is to gain a stable platform that holds the tank to the diver's back, as if it was part of the diver--with no flopping around. If you were to use a fabric "backplate", sort of an oxymoron, you would now have an unstable foundation for the tank to be attached to...the diver could move one way, and then feel the tank moving around on his back, hopefully to regain it's position soon...this flopping around is undesirable, and why a fabric "backplate" should be considered a defective choice. You could probably make the harness out of paper also, but that does not mean you "should"... :)

Have you every used an Oxycheq fabric backplate? Unlike a conventional backplate when you buckle it the shoulder straps tighten so it is very secure. The tank does not flop around. I agree that a metal or plastic backplate is more stable but some people need to save weight while traveling. I am not sure why you consider a fabric backplate a defective choice when there are many divers perfectly happy with their Express Techs which uses a fabric backplate.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2015 at 06:12 AM ----------

There sure is. I have done tons of research into this over the summer, since I over research everything. I have learned more about BP/W than I thought I would. Funny how little some of the staff at my LDS knew about it though. This post is a good basic starting point though.

Backplates and wings are a rather new edition to lines of most dive manufacturers. Also if the shop caters to recreational divers chances are you won't see it there even if the brand they sell has one. Most dive shops do not stock the entire manufacturer's product line.

You might want to add that one major reason to go with a Bp/wing, is to gain a stable platform that holds the tank to the diver's back, as if it was part of the diver--with no flopping around. If you were to use a fabric "backplate", sort of an oxymoron, you would now have an unstable foundation for the tank to be attached to...

I agree with this, although I would stop short of calling fabric plates "defective." I just think that the rigid plate is one of the defining characteristics of the system, so fabric "plates" aren't really plates at all. It's just a different type of BC, having some of the advantages of the BP/W, but not all. In return for giving up the coupling effect of the rigid plate, you get more compact-for-travel, which is a compromise.

I also agree that the original main benefits listed in the OP's otherwise nicely done summary are not really the most important benefits as I see them. To me they would be:

1. Much greater stability and precision positioning of the tank on the diver's back.
2. Much less clutter and useless fabric around the diver's torso. This is very important to me.
3. Better distribution of ballast in most cases, resulting in better trim and balance.

The modular aspect and universal fit are nice, but if that's all the system offered, it would just make it easier to buy, not necessarily better to dive with.

this thread read and noted..i just converted to the APECKS BP/W system and only made 4 dives with it...... so far i am glad i made the switch.

I second this! I'm lucky to be around a number of experienced divers who know a lot about the system and have been great guides, hence the guide. Even then, it did take time to figure out some of the basic information and understand the choices available for me to pursue.

I've arrived at the next stage of customizations - adding some tubular webbing at wear points, and using surgical tubing to create light retainers.

If anyone has input on what works for them, I will (1) be very grateful, and (2) immortalize your ideas here.

I've arrived at the next stage of customizations - adding some tubular webbing at wear points, and using surgical tubing to create light retainers.

If anyone has input on what works for them, I will (1) be very grateful, and (2) immortalize your ideas here.

For light retainers, divers originally used cut bike inner tubes because they are cheap, work and lie flat on the webbing. Halcyon uses rubber but it is thicker and stronger like a rubber band. Apeks (best solution in my opinion) uses neoprene tubing. Other divers have used surgical tubing, bungee cord, or even hair ties.

Some people also used the rubber inner tube at the wear points.

One thing you may want to add is that there are accessories to make the harness adjustable. Halcyon and DSS make proprietary devices for their plates. UTD and Subgravity, make universal devices that fit most backplates. In Europe, Kent Tooling and Agir make something similar.

There are also a few threads on SB with DIY versions.

I have the Kent Tooling slider, I like it a lot, I only use on one side, it makes getting in and out of my harness when diving dry with heavy undergarments and thick dry gloves so much easier. Also I'm oldish so not as flexible as I once was. I'd recommend under similar circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom