BP pad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

song

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin--

thinking about getting a pad for the BP, not that the plate has ever been uncomfortable. The pad might be nice for upcoming shore dives. I've got the short SS plate. Can you recommend a brand that will fit the DSS plate? Didn't see any on the DSS site.

Hi Tobin--

thinking about getting a pad for the BP, not that the plate has ever been uncomfortable. The pad might be nice for upcoming shore dives. I've got the short SS plate. Can you recommend a brand that will fit the DSS plate? Didn't see any on the DSS site.

We don't make or sell pads. These are largely unnecessary.

My recommendation, if you really think you need a pad is:

1) Find an old wetsuit and cut out a piece of neoprene the shape of your plate.

2) Zip tie it in place

3) Dive it a few times

4) Cut it off and enjoy the feeling of not having spent any money on gear not needed.:wink:

Tobin

great idea. thanks.

Actually, it's not the pad that appeals - it's the pocket for storing the SMB...

The DSS plate is pretty flat (ideal for singles). Even if Tobin did make a pad, it's not likely you'd be able to fit much in it given the plate bend angle.

Pads like the one by Halcyon can be nice for storage, but they don't really do anything as far as comfort. If comfort is your concern, a pad isn't going to do much. That said, I mostly shore dive, with lots of heavy gear, and I've never found my DSS rig to be uncomfortable, whether in a 3mm or a DS.

I use an Halcyon MC Storage Pak on my singles and doubles rigs (both with DSS Long Pattern Plates, SS and Kydex respectively). It holds my Halcyon 6' SMB no problems. You just have to fold it, rather than roll it, to ensure its flat as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom