Box for save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wal-Mart has a small dry box in the camping area. I have one for three years and it was well worth the $10.00 I spent on it. It will just hold my billfold,keys, and cell phone. It is a blue color but you can see through it. They also have a bigger size but I wanted something small as well.

I use a waterproof Otter Box 3500. I store it in the cavernous zipper pocket on my mesh boat bag. It seems to be just the right size to fit all of my save-a-dive stuff.

My kit contains: a small adjustable wrench, needlenose pliers, one 11/16 fixed wrench, thin wrench set, allen wrench set, two screwdrivers (Phillips and flathead), Schrader valve tool, power inflater assembly tool, i.p. gauge, zipties, q-tips, exam glove, short length of bicycle innertube, CO2 cartridge, spare nuts & bolts, tire inflater adapter, some bungee cord, o-rings for everything I'd want to service in the field, o-ring picks, O2-compatible lube, port plugs, yoke insert for DIN/yoke convertible tank valve, 3 kinds of HP spools, and a spare mouthpiece. My DIN-to-yoke spin-on adapter is stashed in a ziploc bag in another pocket of the dive bag.

The Otter Box 3500 would fit in your backpack. Loaded with everything inside it feels like a 3-lb. brick. :D

Hope this helps...

I use an Otter Box 3250 - I use one for a first aid kit and a second for save-a-dive. It's not as tall as the 3500 but then I don't carry tools to repair my reg - I carry a spare reg instead.

The Otter Box's were purchased from LP and had not even been used yet when I noticed one had a chunk of plastic broken off along the seal. I called Otter Box and they are sending me a new one - and I get to keep the old one!. That one will still work for 1st aid since I will keep it in the dry bag anyway.

check out "Planomolding.com they make a wide variety boxes and some are waterproof. I have the guide series 1460 waterproof box plenty room and easy to carry.

I have a bunch of pelican boxes in different sizes that truly work great for so much of my diving and boating needs.
However I noticed that as time goes by some items inside these pelican boxes start showing signs of either rust or dampness or just less than fresh feeling to it. So lately for things that are meant as "what ifs" I vacuum seal the items individually or as a group with a foodsaver.
I even do that for foul weather gear kept in the boat, reduces the space needed and even if I don't use it for many months there is no chance of ending up with a moldy raincoat.
Same for emergency tools in the boat (and car) sometimes I don't use it for years but if I open and close the pelican case for other items, somehow moisture goes in and "stays" in if the tools are vacuum sealed they can remain as new until I cut them open to use them.

Undergarments for the dry suits, extra mouth pieces, fat gloves, spare mask straps, pretty much anything that will be going out to sea and back as an emergency spare gets vacuum sealed before going inside a bag or a pelican case.

I keep my save-a-dive in a zip lock bag which is then inside of my dry bag which holds anything else I might want to keep dry on the boat. I found a hard case to be too space consuming and I wanted a dry bag anyway to put clothes, towel, etc. in so I combined the two. I don't have anything sharp in my kit so I'm not worried about a puncture and when the zip lock wears out I replace it.

I use a food storage container. Can't remember the brand name but a step up from tuperware.

It has blue locking latches and a blue oring to seal lid to box - works a treat!!

I use a small pelican case.

I do mostly freshwater springs diving, and I carry so much stuff, it's not even funny.

I use a toolbox. Perfect size for those "pencil bags" they sell for a buck in the area with crayons at Walmart. I use one for my o2 analyzer, one for tools I use frequently (allen keys, screwdrivers, wrench, pliers), and one for tools I use less frequently (hook spanners, dental picks, zip ties). I keep a roll of ductape, multiple condom catheters, extra hose bands, air and 32% deco tables, and other random stuff, on the side. I have balls for the end of reels, P valve parts, multiple orings kits (enough to rebuild almost any of my regs on site, or atleast make it work even if it's not the exact oring), batteries for backup lights, port plugs, a ton more allen keys, all manner of spares.

If I were on a dive boat often (I have lots of dives but less than 10 on boats or in the ocean) I'd need a waterproof case. I also find that a lot of stuff you don't need everyone to have. I carry enough in my toolbox to support multiple divers, so a team could share one save a dive kit, if you dive in a team often with people.

I use a food storage container. Can't remember the brand name but a step up from tuperware.

It has blue locking latches and a blue oring to seal lid to box - works a treat!!

Exactly - called Snapware - plastic containers that have four flaps and an silicone type sealing surface. I have a couple to segregate stuff from frequently used and rarely used safe a dive stuff. Fredmeyer - grocery/department store carries bunch of sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom