Bouyant Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I am in the process of buying myself some news fins and I would like some that are as postively bouyant as possible. I have always suffered with 'heavy legs' (I have tried moving my tank up as far as possible, shuffling weights around etc but to no avail). Has anybody got any suggestions? I am a vacation diver so as lightweight and compact as possible would be good. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I had a pair of Tusa Imprex Tri Ex fins Buy Tusa imprex tri-ex fins SF-6 with reviews at scuba.com and they were fairly positively bouyant. A few other reviewers had similar opinions. I would go without spring straps if you want to keep them as bouyant as possible.

They are light, but are fairly long bladed. Even so, they fit inside our gear bags for travel.

thanks guys - most helpful. Will look at getting a pair before my next trip.

I know that you said that you have moved your weights about, have you tried putting an ankle weight on the neck of your tank. Back when I used the Zeagle Ranger I had to do this to get a decent trim.

also, what are you using for a BCD and tank. might help if there is some other suggestions that won't be fixed by changing your fins.

I agree with Rand, infact, I did an experiment yesterday with my buddies Tri-Ex fins. It took 2lbs. to sink one. I might add, it was fresh water.

I'm not sure what this statement means. Is it that two pounds happens to be the smallest weight that you had available? I mean, even if the fin had a 0.75 sp gravity (same as teak) it would mean that each fin would have to weigh a total of 7-8 pounds.

I've got a SeaQuest Latitude BCD and I use whatever tanks are available at the dive centre. I have found that using a smaller tank helps (10ltr) helps quite a bit, but I will certainly try adding some weight to the top of the tank - thanks for the suggestion. My current fins are the old grey ScubaPro Twin Jets with spring straps, which are pretty heavy and are not postively buoyant. Anybody ever thought about small ankle floats rather than ankle weights?

Tusa imprex are light. I was not paying attention when getting back on a panga in rough water in Coz and lost one without knowing it. Told the pangero and he spotted it floating and earned himself a nice tip.

I'm not sure what this statement means. Is it that two pounds happens to be the smallest weight that you had available? I mean, even if the fin had a 0.75 sp gravity (same as teak) it would mean that each fin would have to weigh a total of 7-8 pounds.

Not to derail the thread, but... IIRC, specific gravity is a dimensionless measure; buoyancy isn't - so while they're usually similar in practice, they're not the same

Back
Top Bottom