Bouyancy check alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Rope can be a leathal weapon if you don't know what the f' your doing." Told to me by a Bos'n Mate 2nd USN.

Personally, I believe you can double that underwater. Contrary to popular belief, a dive tender does not hold a rope and pull out a diver if he thinks he should.

Solo is safer than rope, but with Scubaboard or any dive buddies you already know, you should be able to find someone to dive with. If you were closer, I'd go just to get wet.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I'm trying to figure out exact weight config before I go to AOW, I know the buddy thing but was wondering what people's thoughts were on just doing a bouyancy check by oneself. I would probably do it somewhere in folsom lake, no deeper than 10 ft of water, and not descending at all.

As of now, this is really the only thing holding me back from diving, as I don't want to burden other people with it. I have 3 different tank sizes (I kind of scrambled them together lol) and just want to experiment.

You could get by without another diver, but you should at the very least bring along a friend to help you up if you manage to do a face plant on the way in and lose your reg. It would suck to drown in 3' of water, and you wouldn't be the first person to do so.

It's not that what you're doing is insanely dangerous, it's just that when you're new, it's easy to make mistakes that can be fatal if alone and just annoying if you have a little help.

Also, you don't actually need to be in 10' of water for a buoyancy check. You can do just fine in 5', and can still stand up.

Just drop to your knees and see if you sink.

flots.

PS. Don't worry about "being a burden". Everybody was new once.

Well, this has created quite the discussion...

I will not be doing the rope idea, as I feel dragging a body through the mud would be extremely hard for my poor friend, with probably unsatisfactory results in the end because I probably would die at that point anyways.

In fact, after all this great discussing, I am sorry to say I have found a much better and practical way of doing this in Lake Natoma this saturday, so problem solved. :confused6: Do appreciate all the opinions, though.

However, aside from faceplanting in 3' of water and drowning in mud, I feel like if I were to sink, or something was to go wrong, at a depth of 5-8 ft I could easily slip out of my bcd and drop it to the bottom while staying calm(ish).

Back
Top Bottom