Bouyancy check alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wisper7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to figure out exact weight config before I go to AOW, I know the buddy thing but was wondering what people's thoughts were on just doing a bouyancy check by oneself. I would probably do it somewhere in folsom lake, no deeper than 10 ft of water, and not descending at all.

As of now, this is really the only thing holding me back from diving, as I don't want to burden other people with it. I have 3 different tank sizes (I kind of scrambled them together lol) and just want to experiment.

Supposed you forgot to connect your BC and immediately sank to the bottom after dumping all your air and exhaling?
Would you be able to recover from that in a calm and controlled manner?

That in my mind would a worst case scenario; next worse would be having your air turned off as well. The risk VS benefits of doing a buoyancy check alone is your choice. I personally would get someone to be my surface support in-water for a lake check. In the pool, having someone on deck would be my minimum. Having surface support, btw, means having someone who's briefed on what to do and how to help out AND is willing and able to do that.

Alright, thanks for the opinions. I'll look into getting a friend to at least be on the shore, I am very comfortable in the water though so I might end up just hopping in though if that doesn't work out.

I intend on doing AOW in both if possible (altitude as specialty).

This is the second time today that I am posting about tethering a diver to the surface, although I hardly ever use such a system (excepting search&recovery and ice).

However, perhaps if you are going to have a non-diving buddy on the shore, you could tether a rope to yourself (with a locking caribiner) and give your buddy the instructions: "if you lose sight of me for more than one minute, start pulling me in).

With 299 dives logged I've been thinking about borrowing some time in a friends unheated pool and experimenting with my bouyancy (new drysuit underwear). I'll need someone to zip me into (and out) of my drysuit but am confident I can do everything else safely on my own.

With less than 24 dives having some backup might be prudent. That you're asking the question suggests A) you have a good attitude toward dive safety and B) have a concern about doing it on your own and so should have someone there to help.

Safety first.

This is the second time today that I am posting about tethering a diver to the surface, although I hardly ever use such a system (excepting search&recovery and ice).

However, perhaps if you are going to have a non-diving buddy on the shore, you could tether a rope to yourself (with a locking caribiner) and give your buddy the instructions: "if you lose sight of me for more than one minute, start pulling me in).

I have done thousands of solo dives, starting at the age of 14 yrs old...I think this is very poor advice. To check buoyancy, you don't need to go in water over 5 feet deep. Ropes and such have a much higher chance of causing problems.....

Wisper7:The fact that you ask this questions means you have a healthy amount of apprehension regarding diving solo. DON'T DO the buoyancy check in the lake. You're liable to have a panic attack and get into an "unfortunate" incident. It is dis-concerning to be in open water with nothing around you or in water with extremely poor visibility. With your lack of experience, it would be dangerous.You're better off using a shallow pool and doing a horizontal buoyancy check. By the way, there is a HUGE difference between being "neutrally buoyant" and learning "buoyancy control." Neutral Buoyancy will assist you with Buoyancy Control. However, the ability to remain steady in the water column is not a skill that you can learn in only a handful of dives. Also remember that as you inhale and exhale you will SLOWLY ascend or sink. It's not instantaneous as one my expect. By all means take the advanced class. It's designed to introduce you to different diving environments from your initial OW course and to get you more comfortable in the water and with your gear.

I have done thousands of solo dives, starting at the age of 14 yrs old...I think this is very poor advice. To check buoyancy, you don't need to go in water over 5 feet deep. Ropes and such have a much higher chance of causing problems.....

while I agree that if you are in 5' of water there is no need for a rope, but I disagree that it isn't good advice. Rope problems are only an issue when swimming around and losing awareness of it, and a simple weight check shouldn't involve any swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom