Bound for LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aparatchiki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'll be in LA area starting June... and will be there until I finish my academic requirements. and in between school days i'd like to do some dives.

I only know of one guy in LA who dives so I would really appreciate to be diving with a group. and get to know other divers as well.

A few questions:

1. Is the water generally cold around June to Aug? do you need to dive in a dry suit in SoCal?
(oh did i mention I'm from the sunny warm waters of the Philippines...and it will be a first for me to dive in SoCal)

2. Do people dive with DIN tanks? this is a consideration if i choose to bring my own reg.

I have alot more questions actually...but i'll reserve for later. I would appreciate all your tips, insights and assistance.

thanks!:D

I'm sure more knowledgable folk will chime in...but here's my take on things.

1. Lots of people dive dry in SoCal year round. I'm going to guess the water temp is between 55-60 degrees all the time. I personally dive a 7mm suit...until I got my dry suit! I would assume if you're used to the warm water in the Philippines then this might be frigid for you! They do call SoCal cold water diving.

2. People do dive with DIN tanks, but if you're renting chances are it will be a yoke. But there are exceptions. Probably many of them with all the dive shops around here. I dive a DIN tank that I own, and thus my reg is a DIN. The Din to Yoke adapter would be a nice way to work around problems if you have a DIN regulator. WHich is typically what I'll do if I go to Catalina and rent tanks. If you have yoke, you're golden.

As for diving buddies...since you're in LA you've got the Beach Crabs right around the corner! YAY for Crabs!

Which you already know...since that is where we are posting...:11doh:

My it's early...!

Fire away with Questions!

He sumed it up nicely ask more questions. Im just not an early riser :)

yeah....now all i wanna be is be a beach crab when i grow up! :)

i have a yoke actually.

i've been doing some reading (obviously not enough) about diving in SoCal... there are boat dives...and some sites like Leo Carillo....you just drive up to the park with your tanks and gears and dive with your buddy, am i correct? that sounds fun..

so, how's the underwater scene different from tropical waters? anything to watch out for?

I noticed quite a few mentions on "lobster hunting" on dives....is this legal in California? what is the local regulations on this?

Also, Should I get something like a local orientation with an instructor or local DM about diving in SoCal waters?

thanks again!

i have a yoke actually.

i've been doing some reading (obviously not enough) about diving in SoCal... there are boat dives...and some sites like Leo Carillo....you just drive up to the park with your tanks and gears and dive with your buddy, am i correct? that sounds fun..

so, how's the underwater scene different from tropical waters? anything to watch out for?

I noticed quite a few mentions on "lobster hunting" on dives....is this legal in California? what is the local regulations on this?

Also, Should I get something like a local orientation with an instructor or local DM about diving in SoCal waters?

thanks again!

Ya there are many different dive boats up and sown the coast mainly servicing the channel islands. Other than Leo there are many shore diving sites all over the place the craps site info page has quite a good list of them, but ya drive up park and hop in....other than CA ive only dove in the carabian i guess to me the biggest differenceother than the cold that you will notice is the visibility my guess avg here is anywhere form 10-30 ft depending on where your diving the even tho lately the visibilty has been horrible. Other things that are quite different the reefs and not as full as those of warm waters and there are lots of urchans (be careful they can hurt).

Yes you can labster hunt you have to have a licence for this tho and if im not mistaken it is only durring certin parts of the year and a limit....

it may not be a bad idea to even take a refresher couse just to get use to the area...

i have a yoke actually.

thanks again!

Welcome to the Crabs aparatchiki!!

Yes, we have several very nice Dive Boats around here. We also have Catalina Island, which has an amazing dive park. $60 round trip on the Catalina Express; Catalina Express // Daily Trips To Catalina Island

California Dive Boats: California Dive Boats : The Official Page

As for Beach Diving; You pretty much got it. There are a dozen or so well known dive sites up and down the Los Angeles/Ventura County coast. Some sites are easier then others as far as entry and the hike to and fro. The Beach Crabs are an invaluable resource when it comes to beach diving. Lots of experience here.

Lobster Hunting: Yes, we catch bugs here. Lobster Season normally starts at the end of September or early October and goes through January or February. It's a real blast to go out with friends and catch some bugs... Nothing else like it!

Local Tour: That's always a good idea when diving a new local... but it's really up to you. I've seen plenty of divers getting tours on boats around here. There's nothing so different here compared to anywhere else... But I'm not a world traveler either. :wink:

Hope this helps!!

The vis on beach dives usualy avrage abou 5-10 ft some times less then 1' on good days it gets about 20-25 from shore. if you dive the islands the vis can get 40-50ft on a good day. Lots of diffrence between tropical and so cal. water temp is 60 at the warmest execpt after ya get the 4 days of hot weather then maby 70 on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom