Bounce dive to 65' for 10 dollar snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DECO wise you were at just about 50% of the NDL using the old Navy air tables. If you did do the bounce, you would need to add any additional time to the 1st dive, and then do any deco stops etc. that you would be required to do. You would have had 20 to 30 minutes additional time on air using the Navy tables. If you had NITROX it could be 10 to 15 minutes more. So, deco wise you would have been OK.

As to gas consumption, well - you were low and only would have had about 10 minutes total time to keep any reserve. Figure 1 minute down, 2 minutes back up with a search time of 7 minutes, and a safety stop of 3 to 5 minutes. Depending on your SAC, you might have 300 PSI or less left over.

If you had problems that kept you down, you might have been in a tight spot.

You did the right thing and went home. A $10 snorkel is only a few beers at the bar.

It is a snorkle...and it doesn't work under water other than to slow you down...no biggie you just became more streamline

No worries, you'll find at least 4 to 5 more on your next 10 dives.......
Seriously, if it was my computer...... okay. But snorkle? How did it fall off the refrigerator in the laundry room?

One thing I'm surprised no one touched on is visibility. If this happened on a tropical vacation with 100 foot + viz and I had eyes on the snorkel from the surface, I'd go down and get it without a second thought. If, on the other hand, it happened at home and the vis was <10 feet there would be no thought of making a recovery.

$10 snorkel, forget it. $10k diamond ring? I'll hang out for a few on the surface then go back and get it.

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom