Bought two AL80 tanks filled with 34% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would be nuts to dive those tanks without analyzing them. How do you know they do not contain 100% O2 and that label happened to fall off. (If it ever had one)

Not very likely I agree. But you would most likely be dead if it was the case.

Analyze. Always!!

Edit. Guess I should have read your post!

I think it was more nuts to dump the gas. Analyze? Yes. Empty a tank to get it inspected? Not without filtering it through my lungs first. Absolutely no reason to dump perfectly good gas.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was more nuts to dump the gas. Analyze? Yes. Empty a tank to get it inspected? Not without filtering it through my lungs first. Absolutely no reason to dump perfectly good gas.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he just got certified I'd imagine the analysis is above his head. I don't mean that in a condescending manner either, as I don't have my Nitrox cert yet and certainly wouldn't feel comfortable trying to analyze it.

OK to wrap this up, I took the two tanks in for hydro today after bleeding off the gas. And the third out of date tank went to the recycle yard for $20. Thanks for all the pointers and tips here.

What scrap yard did you take it to?

I doubt the analysis is over my head since I spent 30+ years in the lab as a Chemist. But I don't have an analyzer. Are you people buying a $300-400 analyzer or just taking the tanks to a dive shop and doing it there?

I doubt the analysis is over my head since I spent 30+ years in the lab as a Chemist. But I don't have an analyzer. Are you people buying a $300-400 analyzer or just taking the tanks to a dive shop and doing it there?

Around here, the protocol is:

1. Drop off tank, requesting desired mix (this area is all partial pressure blending, not banked).
2. When you pick up your tank, you use the shop's analyzer, verify the mix and the labeling, and fill out the shop's log.

(there are various options, including an analyzer that uses your smart phone available if you are so inclined to buy one)

That being said, should I have an "unknown", I'd likely stop in the shop, and use the analyzer . If you have a relationship with the shop, I doubt there would be any issue....(actually, I now have one of my own analyzer)

In regard to picking up a used tank with gas in it, I'd be even more concerned with CO......

You can get an O2 analyzer cheaper than $300 and its nice to have your own but just make sure you analyze and mark your cylinders at the shop.

Not knowing anything about who filled them breathing gas may not be breathing gas. Analyze at 34% ok but how much CO or other contaminant is in there as well? I would call using the tanks the op bought that are out of hydro and vis, and not knowing what else is in there from god knows who an unsafe dive practice that no certified diver, let alone a pro, should recommend to a newly certed diver. I don't care if all they had was air. Sounds like a Spivey move in it's ridiculousness.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The technical aspects of these tanks and their contents is covered already. I just am curious how much the op paid, and will have paid after all proper testing is done. I wonder if the difference in price between these tanks and valves and new stuff is significant, especially when factoring in the age and unknown history of the tanks and valves. I am a little skittish about buying any used gear on line, as you all know from other posts. Just asking.
DivemasterDennis

After the hydro costs I'll have paid $170 for the two tanks or $85 each. The break down:

$65 each for the tanks
-$20 for the third tank I sold to the recycle yard
+ $30 each for the hydros

BK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom