Bottom Scratcher 10/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roteri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going on the BS this weekend for the first time. It's a free ride, so I can't complain. I've never dove this boat before and was wondering if any of you had experiences/tips that you'd like to share. We're doing Catalina front side I believe.

I normally dive The Magician out of San Padro; Awesome boat, good crew, GREAT food.

Thanks for the feedback. :usa_2:

roteri:
I'm going on the BS this weekend for the first time. It's a free ride, so I can't complain. I've never dove this boat before and was wondering if any of you had experiences/tips that you'd like to share. We're doing Catalina front side I believe.

I normally dive The Magician out of San Padro; Awesome boat, good crew, GREAT food.

I haven't tried the Bottomscratcher yet, but I hear you'll be able to loose some weight from your belt from all the great food they serve.

I took did my advanced dives off the bottom scratcher, very good crew, as hermosadive said they serve a lot of food. We got served breakfast,lunch and dinner plus all the snacks you could want. Probably one of the slower boats though, I also recomend putting your gear at in the back tank racks so you dont have to wait on everyone else to get into the water, unless you dont mind doing a high side roll. Oh yeah I hope you like bagpipes,the captain plays while stopped.

I agree, very good boat and yummy food! The crew is top notch - very friendly and helpful. My favorite part is the outdoor shower - it's outside on the sundeck, and a lot of fun to take a hot shower (in a bathing suit, of course) while the boat's moving with th view of the ocean around you. Also, Bubba the safety boat is fun - if you surface far from the boat, or get stuck in current, or just want a ride, just wave for them and they'll come and pick you up. They throw a line in the water and you hold on while they tow you back - it's a ride in itself!
There are some less pleasant aspects, though, which make it a boat that a lot of people don't like going on. they are:
1. Limited bunk space - if you need a bunk to sleep on the trip there or back, get there early. There aren't enough for everyone to have one on a full boat.
2. Smelly heads - 'nuff said.
3. It is a slower boat, so it takes a good 2 hours to get to Catalina.
4. The gear stowing area gets crowded - bags piled on top of each other and it's difficult to get to your stuff. My advice is to get everything ready when you board -fins, gloves, and mask somehow clipped to your bc, if possible, to secure them during the ride, bc and reg on your tank, etc..., so that you won't have to do much with your bag when everyone is trying to get to their's, too.

It's been a long time since I've done a boat dive, and thinking about it makes me wish I was going. Have a good time!

I like the Bottom Scratcher. All the points that Saf_25 stated I'd have to concur with. I have been on only three different boats but I think that the crew on the BS is one of the most helpful. Bobby always seems to appear when I need help hefting my dive bag or getting my bc onto my shoulders before a dive. I also love to hear Greg play the bagpipes. I have found it works well when I attach my tank to my bc and wear it to the boat. I then stick my gear somewhere, put my dry stuff on a bunk (to save it) and then assemble the rest of my kit so that I don't have to compete with everyone else in the limited space. Have fun.

I've been on the Bottom Scratcher several times and give it two thumbs up. The food is great. The service is friendly ... Greg's a hoot, with lots of interesting stories and his bag pipes, Bobby's helpful, and the cook (forgot her name) is high-energy, full of laughs, and a darn good cook to boot. Unlike some of the other boats, you can go into the galley with yoru wetsuit on, which is nice.

The sleeping quarters can be a bit tight, especially if you don't get one of the choice bunks. Get there early to claim your space; I end up hitting my head several times a night whenever I get the bottom bunks. On my last trip I had trouble sleeping because some idiot's alarm clock kept beeping. After about a half hour of this I realized that the idiot was me (doooh!).

Saf pretty much covered everything, although what bugged me most was the fact that there are no benches on the back where your tanks and gear are stashed. I like having somewhere to sit when I'm donning/doffing my gear, and the lack of benches makes it awkward at best. But I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The crew is top-notch and very friendly (I like bagpipes, which helps), getting towed around behind their little recovery boat is fun, and the food... WHEW! Let's just say that while diving days are usually good excercise days where you burn more calories than you take in, that's not true on the Bottom Scratcher. I don't think my waistline would survive diving off that boat on a regular basis. They seem to think it's their mission in life to stuff you silly whenever you're on their boat. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

roteri:

On the positive side, if you're getting a free ride on that "boat" you're likely (albeit, not guaranteed) to get your money's worth.

K

The Bottom Scratcher was my very first boat dive also to finish my OW cert. Had a great time. Boat has character and more characters running it. Honestly, I don't know why I waste my time and money taking the Express to dive the Park. I get more for my time and money on the BS.
I love the cook she's got great irish blood in her. Let me have a HUGE ziploc freezer bag of her awesome left over spaghetti and meatball sauce.
Bobby's like having a second shadow even though I was a student at the time he was always right there when you needed him.
Hope to be able to take my boys (5&7) on her in the future.
Bagpipes rule ! My heritage is the Isle of ish. Irish, Scottish and English.
Long live the ale ! I mean Queen !

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom