Bottom Finder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was wondering if anyone had ever attempted to make any type of bottom finder as an adiditon to a dive computer, something to give the depth of the area below the wearer just like those portable fish finders.

Cheekymonkey:
Was wondering if anyone had ever attempted to make any type of bottom finder as an adiditon to a dive computer, something to give the depth of the area below the wearer just like those portable fish finders.

Most boats are equipped with a device that will tell you how deep the water is at the dive site. Jump from boat, do the math during the descent.

If you are diving from shore and the bottom is not visible you should have researched the area.

Cheekymonkey:

I think the idea is pretty cool but I believe the challenge is the power needed to send an acoustic signal through a transducer. I believe it would eat up a computer battery in fairly short order. I used to be a commercial lobster harvester and always had a "tickle stick" in front of me to prevent running into the bottom or rock ledge when working in limited visibility. These days I am an active public safety diver and there are times I wish I had a "tickle stick." For the Public Safety Diver field some divers are using a bulkier item ... a handheld SONAR manufactured by Harris Acoustic. www.harrisacoustic.com/dls_1.htm

I do like the concept though...

Cheekymonkey:

Why would you want to make one when you can buy a waterproof unit for less than $100 dollars?

Edit: Search SB for the headline "fathometer?" and you will find a thread on the subject. One member posted a link to a refurbed unit for around $ 60.00.

I bought the one at Boatersland.com, the Norcross DF2200PX Portable Sonar System for $65.99, it also acts as a fish finder and can be submerged to 200 feet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom