Bottom dweller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, um... quite truthfully - I did gently push him away from his belly as he was really right on top of me, and looking like he wanted to land on me. I was horizontal, but facing up, and he was at my upper-chest / lower face area, too close for comfort from any strange two-foot long fish. He didn't look like he was 'attacking' me or anything, just like he thought that he was quite comfortable where he was and that I would make a great place to stop over. Strange thing was I was about 5 feet off of the sea floor at that point, so I would think the fish would have known I was the bott... oh yeah - his eyes were on the top of him - he was just stopping his swim and, I guess, going to float down to the bottom(!). That would have been my tank if I hadn't flipped over.

In a way it's kind of cool now - I forgot he couldn't see below, nor around, him.

I had 5mm neoprene gloves on, and for some reason chose to push with the tips of both hands' fingers, but my face was exposed (with my classic metal-framed mask). Maybe one actually has to touch the electrical portion of their head to be in any danger?

That toadfish had me describing him for a good while before I finally gave up trying to figure out what it was. No-one seemed to understand me as I described such an odd fish. An old leather shoe, eyebrow, that sure would be the color I remember.

MD - considering himself lucky in more ways than one that day. Thanks guys, what fun fish to find and talk about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom