Boston.com: 17 great whites spotted in 1 day off of Chatham last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thnx for posting

As soon as we start to see seals around FT W is the time I may stop diving that area. Diving and great whites not a combo I am looking to experience.

I would be surprised to see whites wintering in Rhode Island. They tend to be a warm water predators and big sharks can go a long time without feeding.

I would be surprised to see whites wintering in Rhode Island. They tend to be a warm water predators and big sharks can go a long time without feeding.

I'm not sure about that, seems to me the waters around Tasmania where a diver was killed recently by a GW are pretty cold, it's winter there now and Antarctica isn't that far away. I'm not going to underestimate the GW's ability to thrive in cold water, it is after all a semi warm blooded fish that has been around a lot longer than we have, and has survived a lot more environmental extremes then the human race. Heck they're even surviving us!

I have a healthy respect born of fear of large predators whether they have fins, fur, 4 legs or two. Diving in NC I touched a 10' Sand Tiger near his tail. I made sure it was slightly above me when I did it. The Sandy bolted, the pressure wave that its tail created pushed me back, which was why I wanted it above me just in case it did bolt so the tail won't hit me. Now extrapolate that out to a 15'GW @ 3000lb accidently giving you a swat of its tail because while trying to fend it off it got frightened. Ouch!

Last edited:
As soon as we start to see seals around FT W is the time I may stop diving that area. Diving and great whites not a combo I am looking to experience.

Us Californians do it all the time. The Great Whites (aka "The Landlord") have to know we're around, but they rarely show themselves.

Us Californians do it all the time. The Great Whites (aka "The Landlord") have to know we're around, but they rarely show themselves.

We have seals further up the bay, I’m pretty sure GWs have been going by FTW for a long, long time.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 02:20 PM ----------

Hey Rich, I was down in the dive locker a little while ago, I put the recharged batteries in my canister light and turned it on. It worked and of course the radio set to FM went static like my car radio did. That got me to thinking about what if any affect the signals that light emits would have on GWs? They are sensitive to electrical signals. Would it make one curious,frighten, or perhaps like some noises do to dogs piss it off?! Just another thing to ponder while doing the long surface swim out or back to Green Bridge some night, not unlike the question: if you take fish oil and pee in your suit, will you attract sharks?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom