Boston area dive scene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gota start at the surface anyway!

Yeah I'll be staying shallow at first.

Salem Sound won't be much warmer than that at 60fsw in August!

We call 10ft VIS here good, often see less occasionally more.

@AfterDark

We call 10ft VIS here good...for which we pray but rarely see and seldom can predict. Welcome to New England! It can be great diving, like the jungle can be great hiking once you clear a path!
It has to be worked at. :)

@TuckerIdaho I like my local diving, but if I lived in Boston I’d be heading to the locations I mentioned, not FW. Although, if you get there early enough you can get an extra 1.5 to 2 ft vis before the masses stir it up :D.

10 ft is great vis here lol

Not going to lie, the idea of 10ft vis being good is sort of bummed me out. But then I thought wait a minute - the vis is never especially good at my favorite PNW dive sites. And THEN I thought, how do we even measure visibility, anyway? What the hell does 10 ft visibility even look like? Is it possible I've spent my entire diving experience in 10 foot visibility already, and am fretting needlessly?

If any of you folks have any pictures of your dives around the sites mentioned, I'd be curious to peruse your examples for a sense of what I've got in store.

Not going to lie, the idea of 10ft vis being good is sort of bummed me out. But then I thought wait a minute - the vis is never especially good at my favorite PNW dive sites. And THEN I thought, how do we even measure visibility, anyway? What the hell does 10 ft visibility even look like? Is it possible I've spent my entire diving experience in 10 foot visibility already, and am fretting needlessly?

If any of you folks have any pictures of your dives around the sites mentioned, I'd be curious to peruse your examples for a sense of what I've got in store.

The way I measure vis is how far away from the bottom I am when I can see it. Go to the bottom check depth, ascend until can't see bottom, check depth, subtract, difference from bottom depth = vis. Lateral vis may vary. Ha, but those rare 20' vis days will keep you coming back and hoping for more.

Back
Top Bottom