Borrowing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, nothing wrong with others letting you try equipment to help figure out what you want to buy. My comments about the cost of the trip were to point out I see many with what I see as backwards priorities. I deal with a public that will pay anything for their trip but wants discount training and equipment. IMO, one needs training and equipment first. A good cart is no good without a good horse.Even if they don't "need" it, it will maximize the benefit of the trip.

that most divers that need to borrow gear fall into 2 broad catagories..
1. New divers who haven't yet bought gear and are not yet experienced at looking after that gear. I have been burnt a couple of times this way.
2. Travellers from overseas.
I now as a general rule only lend accessories to experienced divers if I am not going with them. In NZ gear rental is relatively low cost on a world comparison. When I travel I take my own gear and rent weights and tanks wherever I am.
Plus there is the hassle of wet suit etticate. Don't pee in someone elses suit !!!!!
When it's your own gear, you tend to look after it better.
If someone is willing to lend their valuable gear to you then go the second mile to look after it.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman

So, zboss,

a home in the BVI's eh?.... I was wondering..... Could I borrow....?:)

Paco once bubbled...
So, zboss,

a home in the BVI's eh?.... I was wondering..... Could I borrow....?:)

It depends on how much equipment you have to trade :wink:

I like to think of it as a very happy rooster.

zboss,

what kind of equipment do you need?

I trade a lot. It's fun. A great way to learn about something new. I even have students trade equipment in the pool - we do it like a game.

The rules:
Never trade computers, or things that don't fit both safely and comfortably, or equipment whose history is unfamiliar. Such as an item whose servicing record is unknown. It goes without saying don't use equipment your not familiar with or which isn't suited for the type of dive your doing.

Always be safe - but have fun trading.

On this side of the Atlantic we have dive clubs BSAC SSAC SAA and novice members normaly borrow all their equipment, some branches charge a small rental fee, but its often included in the membership.

What difference does it make if you borrow scuba equipment or a car from a friend? Nothing... ughhh, is there a difference?

Make sure you don't abuse your privilege when a friend is willing to lend you equipment, or anything else for that matter. Make sure you return it without damage. Take good care of it and if you accidentally damage it, pay for the repairs. Very basic. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom