Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyRubberDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can someone reccomend me some good books to read to further my diving knowledge?I just don't have the money to take any more classes right now and there s so much more I want to learn. I figure if I read up then it will also help me make up my mind on what classes I would like to take in the future. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Neil

You might want to just get the next couple of textbooks from whichever agency you prefer, to read up. Then when you do decide to take the class you're ready.

Ebay has a lot of old dive manuals from different agencies, mostly PADI, since they are the biggest. The books may be old but may give you more info than the new "updated" ones. Anyway an Advanced Open Water, Rescue, Divemaster, Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and workbook as well as spectialty books can be picked up cheap if you shop wisely and wait for a deal. You, most likely, won't be able to use them for a class but they do have a lot of good info to get you ready or decide not to take a class because you picked up the info and skills you needed.

Bob

Jill Heinerth's new "The Essentials of Cave Diving", and "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell.

In addition to the other great suggestions, here's one I like: "Diver Down" Real World Scuba Accidents and How to Avoid Them, by Michael R. Ange ISBN 0-07-144572-2. I read this about every 6 months to refamiliarize myself with what can go wrong and how to avoid it.

I really like PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving as a resource for new divers. Although the tone of the writing can be irritating, there is an enormous amount of good information in the book. I reread it recently for my DM class, and even now there was stuff in there (particularly the information about the oceans) that was new to me.

Mark Powell's Deco for Divers should be required reading for anybody who does more than a couple of cruise ship dives a year. Although in need of an editor, the book is a superb compilation of information it took me a couple of years to accumulate through other sources. And it's readable -- no math required.

Two other books are primarily for entertainment, but contain some definite lessons: Shadow Divers, which is a fantastic read, is a great education in the passion and dedication that people can show to their own niche in diving. And The Last Dive is about the same story, but from an entirely different viewpoint, and shows what having the wrong motives and the wrong approach can do to people in the diving world.

Have fun with these!

Diving on the Edge. Michael Bane. A reg, equipment manual to see through the sheen and save bucks and do more courses.

UTD and GUE materials even if you aren't going down that road are certainly worth the read/watch. Also several of the free online magazines are very good and you certainly can't go wrong with reading back issues of Dive Training as mentioned above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom