Books on the oldschool...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boozegood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have any recommendations on books that cover old-time diving? bathysphere, surface supplied helmet diving, diving bells, ancient sponge divers, etc.

Multiple books on specific subjects as well as general history books are all welcome.

Thanks!

Ellsberg, John D Craig, Beebee and Barton, Berge, Williamson etc
sdm

Start with Edward Ellsberg's "On the Bottom" then go onto "Under the Red Sea Sun" and "No Banners, No Bugles," you can also get "The Far Shore" but it is the weakest of his 4 true diving/salvage books.

Then for more Salvage get "Marine Salvage: The Unforgiving Business of No Cure, No Pay." This is a nice history of salvage diving with many stories.

Another good one is "The Man Who Bought a Navy," by Gerald Bowman which is about the salvage of many of the German High Seas Fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow in 1919. The first chapter is here: The Man Who Bought a Navy : Read Chapter One

I have a book called "Descent" by Brad Matson (who was the guy that wrote the Titanic book for Chatterton and Kohler) that's about the bathysphere. it was a pretty good read!

Thanks all! I saw 'Decent' recently at Barnes and Nobel, so I will pick that up along with 'On the Bottom' today.

51J4CDSG3ML._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg

The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History by Peter Maas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom