Booklet BC/Vancouver Island dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I live in Seattle but I seem to remember from my trips up to Vancouver Island that there are books/booklets describing the dive sites on Vancouver Island but I can't remember where I saw them. Is there anyplace online that I can order one?

I'm looking more for some shore dives around Nanaimo and/or Victoria.

gcbryan:
I live in Seattle but I seem to remember from my trips up to Vancouver Island that there are books/booklets describing the dive sites on Vancouver Island but I can't remember where I saw them. Is there anyplace online that I can order one?

"99 Dives on Vancouver Island" by Betty Pratt Johnson

"Divers Guide" by Greg Dombowsky http://www.dive.bc.ca/guide/homepage.html

Hyper-limits:
They is also a couple of good websites with some good info about Victoria/Nanaimo diving.

www.victoriadiving.50megs.com
www.coastalbc.com/dive.com

I hope this help

Cheers

Al

I would enjoy Marks web site if it had less pop-ups I think 50megs refers to the amount of cache memory the pop-ups take up. Otherwise his web page is fantastic.

gcbryan:

If you print out the pages of the website below and staple them together, you have a booklet. If you want the full experience and if you're good with crafts, you can also print out the popup ads and glue them into your booklet with little paper springs.

Seriously though, the only ones I know of that are still in print are the one mentioned above (dive.bc.ca) and "Victoria's Shore Dives" (info at:http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/vicsho.htm ). This one is, in my opinion, the best for detailed descriptions of marine life present at each site. These guys (marine biologists, etc.) actually know what they're looking at. At less than $7, it's pretty cheap too. Dombowski's book (www.dive.bc.ca) has some pretty original underwater "maps" that give you a good idea of the topography. Betty Pratt-Johnston's "99 Dives" has been out of print for a while (and is pretty outdated anyway). There was supposed to be an updated version published last year, but I haven't seen it yet (maybe my eyesight is bad).

swankenstein:
If you print out the pages of the website below and staple them together, you have a booklet. If you want the full experience and if you're good with crafts, you can also print out the popup ads and glue them into your booklet with little paper springs.

Sound more like a magazine than a booklet :wink:

swankenstein:
Betty Pratt-Johnston's "99 Dives" has been out of print for a while (and is pretty outdated anyway). There was supposed to be an updated version published last year, but I haven't seen it yet (maybe my eyesight is bad).

It is still in the works. She has sent out some copy to the local dive shops for proof reading so I know she's working on it.

Hyper-limits:
Sound more like a magazine than a booklet :wink:

Speaking of magazines, I saw Mark's article on Saanich Inlet dives in a copy of Diver last week. There is a picture of a large jellyfish right next to his head. How many times did you get stung by that one, Mark?

I use Firefox so I don't have to deal with those pesky pop-up ads. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom