Book now or when we arrive in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, welcome to the board - I didn't get a chance to say that earlier! Secondly, I think if you're coming in Feb you really should try to book something in advance as Feb is truly peak season for liveaboards - best manta spotting time as well as whale sharks.

Unfortunately I can't give you any more info than that! ADG has provided a good list of operators, you could also try the one I'm using - Jonathan Cruiser which comes highly recommended by my instructors.

If you haven't been diving since you certified you should definitely do a refresher - I haven't been in 5 months (aargh!) and am a tad nervous about going next weekend to complete my Advanced course - although looking forward to being in the blue more than anything! More importantly you need to be up to speed with your skills in the Similans because most of the dives are deeper than 18m and currents can suddenly appear. I agree with ADG that it depends on the operator - on our trip (still one spot free, anyone interested?) we have a mix of OW, AOW and newly certified divers. Our DMs are actually my instructors and as most of the group has all dived together before, they know how we handle ourselves and how comfortable we are in the water and have no problems taking such a mixed group down. Two of the guys will just have certified OW a week before we go, and two others want to do their AOW on board.

Zept is right about the AOW - Navigation and Deep are compulsory. I'm not sure how it works with Night dives though - I've only done one which was part of my AOW, but as a lot of the other divers on our trip are not Advanced and they are all going on the night dives...?? - are you supposed to be AOW to dive at night? :confused:

Susan, let me know if you need help with anything in Bangkok or Phuket. Unfortunately I won't be in Bangkok when you arrive as it's Chinese New Year and we've got a 4 day weekend so I'm going to be doing some pre-Similan diving! Any opportunity I can get... I do know a great guest house in BKK which is far removed from Backpacker Hell (or Heaven, whichever you prefer) - i.e. Khao San Road - and very conveniently located on Sukhumvit. There is a link to it on my website (see below).

By the way, with regard to diving in Korea, check out this thread. The Gasman about says it all. He didn't have a good time there at all - the standards are way below par and from the sounds of it, it's quite risky as none of the operators seem to know or care what they're doing. If you can, allow yourself some extra days in Phuket and do your refreshers/AOW there.

:p Agnes - I think YOU should start getting commission from the Phuket liveaboard operators for all the plugging you're doing! You deserve a free trip!

Klaus - hallo! hvorden har du det? One of my instructors and best friends is Danish... I'm trying to learn your language and it is sooooo difficult. Are you going straight to Koh Tao when you get here? I don't think I'll be seeing you in Phuket either as I'm only going to be there from the 16th to 23rd of Feb then returning to Bangkok. If you're going to be around in BKK at any time, let me know - meeting for drinks with Danes is always a good thing... Skål! :wink:

OK, this is getting too long - must run now. Hope y'all have a good weekend and see you back here next week.

Cheers all

Well, thanks to all for the information. We have now decided to get to Phuket early and do some refresher diving courses.

Keralucu....thanks, you know we are looking for a place outside of backpacker hell...and I did see someone else speak very highly of suk11 on the Lonely Planet forum recently.

However, I'm not sure how to get there...can you give me an idea? We'll be flying in around 11 pm on Feb 11th, I think, maybe 12th, I think it's either be a Monday or Tuesday night by then (i'm obviously totally confused with all the time changes I'll be making in the next 3 weeks..Korea, Arizona, Thailand...)

Another ?...not about scuba, but hey, you may know,...have you ever heard of these "volunteer" experiences where you can work with elephants in the jungle? The "volunteer" actually pays for this and it lasts 2 weeks.

Do you know anyone who's done this or ever heard about it? For me, if it's as it sounds, it could be a resume-filler, but for most people I think it may just be a rich guys/gals fantasy come true and if the program is geared towards those sorts, it's of no use for me......sorry so long-winded and off the subject but many of you seem, well, frankly, just wierd enough to know about these sort of things!

thanks again, and any other infor you can provide, I'd be glad to take it, the more I know, the better off we'll be......
feel free to use my e-mail too

thanks,
Susan

I've looked thru all your posts and can't find it!

You can send it to me in a PM (private message), or email me at keralucu@scubagirls.com

cheers

Hi agian

_Have any of you been looking at Koh Racha Ray 23 miles out of phuket.

The island is supposed to have the best diving in near Phuket area!!!

I have more or less decided to go out there!!!

see this link for futher info!!!

www.rayadivers.com

If anyone wanna join me for some diving around the 21-22 feb and 7-8 days ahead......dont hesitate to contact me

KBN

kbn@dsr.kvl.dk

Heya Alison,

it's always nice to read thru your lonnnnng emails :wink:

According to Padi, NAUI, SSI and blah blah blah, only divers certified with AOW are allowed to do nite dives. Some dive operators are v. strict about this, especially when we dive at places like Malaysia, but i get the feeling that Thailand is a little more lax about this. During my Similans trip, my friend only had OW, but the DMs allowed her to go down anyway, without making a big fuss. But the instructor buddied her and kept a close eye on her, coz that was her first night dive. Similarly, if i can recall, there were two open water divers in my group who went for nite dive as well, but they were experienced divers, so that's slightly different.

It really depends on the dive operators - some can be v. tight-assed about it, coz if anything goes wrong, they will get into trouble for sure.

hahahah yeah, it seems like i have been plugging the phuket liveaboards shamelessly huh :wink: it's just been so difficult searching for cheap liveaboards, when i found all those info, it seems like a real pity not to share it all hehehe

alison, susan, KBN, do have a nice trip with some fantastic diving, and remember to do a trip report!

Back
Top Bottom