Book now or when we arrive in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan in Korea

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning to arrive in Bangkok on Feb 11th and hope to take a liveaboard to the Similans sometime our second week in Thailand....
Is it better to book it now, over the internet or once we get there? I read that it's far more expensive on-line but I don't want to risk getting stuck with a fly-by-night outfit....What's the best way to do this?

Thanks for the help,
Susan

the last time i went to Similans, i booked thru the Internet and chartered the entire boat. Got one of the best deals ever possible. One of my friends suggested not to book over the Internet, instead to look around and check out the dive shops only when u arrive there. Sometimes if they have a few slots left, they will be willing to sell them to you at last-minute prices.

However, do bear in mind that Feb is the peak season for diving in Thailand, and i recalled some dive boats that were already fully booked for this period (especially the cheaper ones).

Here's a list of all the dive operators available at Phuket - you can do some online research to find out pricing and to assess their professionalism, and maybe ask them for any special rates.
http://www.oceanphuket.com/resource/diveshops.htm

I had also posted an earlier thread on cheap liveaboards you can find in Phuket
here.

Here's a dive operator that if offering last min deals (too earlier for u though), which i felt were pretty attractive - we dived with their DMs and I must say they are really professional.
http://www.highclass-adventure.com/highclass/lastminute.asp

Keralucu is going to Similans during this week, and she still has one slot left on her liveaboard - think she can tell u more. BTW, I will be in Thailand from 12-17 Feb - will be diving Phi Phi Islands from 13-16, and back in Phuket for an all-nighter before flying back on the 17th. Maybe we can meet up for some dive chats! :)

Hope this helps - and have fun in Similans!!

Cheers,
AsianDiverGal

Hey,
Thanks for the information. I will check out the links. I did read someones post about a liveaboard operator and has since had some contact with them via e-mail. They seem quite professional...I think they're called Sea King out of Phuket.

One thing that concerns me...my husband and I were certified 2 years ago in a 4 day course and have not done any diving since. We asked about a refresher diving course and were told it wasn't necessary and that we we'd get instruction and wouldn't go on a dive until we felt 100% about our skills in the water again.

I got a book on scuba to review on my own but I know this is no substitute for doing the exercises (like clearing the mask etc.) in the water. What do you think?

My husband will proabably get his advanced diver certification while we are there as he will enter graduate school (marine biology) in the fall....Is this a good idea as well?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'd like to be well informed on this.

We will be in Thailand the same time as you...it'd would be nice to meet up if we end up on Phuket at the same time....I'll let you know of the arangements......

Thanks for any input you (or anyone else!) may have for me
Susan

I havent been to thailand before but I am going in febuary and the info I have gathered is that it is advised to book from home unless you have plenty of time and can go from dive shop to dive shop asking for special rate and offers. It is possibel to get a very good offer if you have the time to stick around. Often they will sell you a trip for a good price to fill the boat!!!

So the advice is " IT depends of the time you have"

Likewise I have found these 2 interesting websites which offer diving or snorkling to a very good price!!

http://www.seadragondivecenter.com/

Sea dragon have a very good offer for diving!

If you wanna do some snorkling around similand island, take a look at this website!!!

http://www.similantour.nu/Snorkle.htm

Both places are up the cost from phuket around 150 km, sp it is away from phuket turist hell!!

I am planning to use those to offers at around mid months so if you can add some info please email me!!

kbn@dsr.kvl.dk

Klaus, Denamrk
:mean:

Susan,

Yeah, my last trip to Similans was using Sea King Divers and their liveaboard called The Witch. It was affordable, the DMs were quite good, the rooms comfy enough (A/C throughout the day and nite), and great food!

If you havent dived for 2 years, I would strongly encourage you to do a refresher before going to Similans or a liveaboard. When i stopped diving for just one year, I was really rusty, and I really f***ed up my first dive after the long interval! I jumped in without regulator in mouth, dropped my mask in the deep, couldnt equalise properly on my second dive hurting my ears in the process, had major problems with my buoyancy, and kept knocking into everyone (basically annoying the hell outta everyone) :wink: It took me at least 2-3 dives to feel comfortable in water again.

Similans/Surins is fantastic, but there are many sites which are challenging with strong currents. No doubt you will be taken to an easy and relaxing dive site for your first dive, but still it takes time to warm up and really feel comfortable, so why waste all those precious dives on "warming up?" The best thing is to do some day trips from Phuket as refresher - these are around 2,500 - 3,000 baht for 2 dives (some places will be more expensive). There are daily trips leaving for Anemone Reef, King Cruiser, Shark's Point and Racha Islands which all the dive shops conduct. Once you have done that, when u move on to Similans, you will be more relaxed and be able to enjoy Similans to the fullest!

Another possibility is doing your refresher in Korea - there are places where u can dive and should be cheaper than Phuket?

That's interesting - i thought diving (OW and AOW) were some of the modules which were offered as part of a marine biologist course.

Again, I would suggest that your husband gets Advanced certified before going on the liveaboard to Similans. My friends did their Advanced on the liveaboard, and throughout the 4 days, they spent more time studying than suntanning! Unbelievable! Why dont the two of u do the course together at Phuket? Then you will both be able to do night dives and deep dives together, and many of the nice sites at Similans will be rather deep.

Hope this helps, and do drop me a note once u have firmed up your travel plans. Have you also considered diving in Phi Phi? :wink: Not as nice as Similans for sure, but great place for refresher and chill out.

Hi Klaus,

Yup, Sea Dragons was in my list of "cheap" liveaboards - although I didnt dive with them, I have heard only good stuff about them from other divers.

Anyway, to repeat the earlier posting I did, here are some other "cheap" liveaboards:

Sea King Divers
http://www.phuket.com/seaking-diving/index.htm

The West Coast Explorer by West Coast Divers
http://www.westcoastdivers.com/

Parinee and Daranee by Andaman Divers
http://www.andamandivers.com/

Kingfisher
http://kingfisherdiving.com/index.htm

Vilai Samut by Ocean Divers
http://www.oceanphuket.com/

Scuba Adventure and Scuba Cat
http://www.scubacat.com/

But do note that I have never dived any of the rest except Sea King Divers, so it might be advisable to check with others who have.

If you need more info on diving in Phuket or Similans specifically, just drop me a note and I will try my best :)

When will you be at Phuket? Where will you be diving? We will be going to Phi Phi Islands from 12-16 Feb, with 4 days of chill-out diving, and then back to Phuket on 16th for an overnighter. Maybe we can all meet up together in Phuket over drinks!

Cheers,
AsianDiverGal

I will first leave for Thailand at the 18 feb....so you have to drink without me......he...he.......my plan is to stay away from phuket, will first go to Koh Tao for driving all the abstinese out...then go to a place up north of phukjet called Khao Lak and do first a 3 day snckling trip and later 4 nights liveaborde to the 2 big S.

So around mid martch I will be near phuket.

Klaus

You know, you're probably right about getting in some refresher dives before going on the 4 day trip. I'll look into that at some the sites put up in the earlier post(s).

As for doing it in Korea, well, frankly, I don't feel really comfortable with the idea. Korea is a great place but it's not the kind of place that follows set standards or codes when it comes to some things. To put it delicately, it's not the safest of places and with the language barrier (my Korean could be described as pathetic on a good day), it might not be a good idea, I think.

As for marine biology, yes, once he (Brian) begins his grad work, he can get his advanced and first aid certificates through the university but I was just thinking since we're going to be there....but anyway, he said he's not too interested in it for the reasons you mentioned. He'd rather just chill out and not do any studying while we're there.

Ok, night dives....we will need advanced ceritification for these, is that right? I wasn't too interested in getting an advanced diving certificate but is it worth doing it? I mean, if I'm going to pay to do refresher diving prior to the trip, should I just do an advanced certification instead and that way be able to go out on the night dives?

We will arrive in Bangkok on Feb 11th (after one week of eating a 100% Mexican food diet during a pit stop in Arizona) and I've signed us up with Sea Kings for a trip that begins on the 17th. We hope to spend a few days or so up north doing some trekking and whatever. I imagine we'll try to arrive on/near Phuket around the 15th if we can arrange that. We have no plans after the trip ends on the 21st except to head to Australia at some point before the end of the month.

Any comments or suggestions you've got for me, I'll take 'em!

I've really appreciated your help so far....so where and when will you be in/around Phuket?

thanks again,
Susan

Klaus - gee that's too bad - i will be back home by 18th but think u might be able to meet up with keralucu from the boards here coz that's when she's just back from her liveaboards.

Susan - it really depends on how strict the dive operator is. Normally, without an Advanced cert, you cannot do night dives or dives any deeper than 18m. Some operators might just close one eye and bring u down anyway, but others will not, coz they will be liable for any problems that occur. I am not too sure about Thai operators, but everytime I went diving in Malaysia, Advanced cert is compulsary for night dives.

I felt that Advanced cert was really no big deal - the only useful thing i picked up was Navigation, which is a compulsary module and Search & Recovery. However, I took it coz i got tired of trying to persuade the dive operators again and again that i can handle night dives. Also, some dive operators do not allow Open Water divers to dive places deeper than 18m, or more "challenging" sites - which are where u get the good stuff sometimes.

Advanced is made up of 6 modules, of which 3 are compulsary - night dive, deep dive and navigation. You then get to choose any other 3 modules from the entire list of modules available (varies from dive operator to operator). If you do some modules like boat dive, drift dive, or multi-level dive, these are actually normal dives so u can take this opportunity to "refresh". If you do that, then u can skip the refresher and build that into your Advanced.

If you plan to do the Advanced course in Phuket, remember u need to allow at least 3-4 days to finish the entire course. Not sure if you can take the course in Bangkok, that might save u some travelling time - maybe keralucu can help u out here.

If you have time after Similans, check out Phi Phi, or Krabi (Railey Beach or Ao Nang) if u are into gorgeous beaches and grand limestone cliff formations.

Sad news, I may not be able to get flights to Phuket - seems that they are fully fully booked, am still on the wait list, but the travel agent says that chances are extremely low (we are travelling during the Chinese New Year period). We might have to go to Bali instead, but I will drop u a note anyway once we have confirmed tickets.

Hope to get some good news soon!

Cheers,
AsianDiverGal

ADG, if you are talking about the PADI Advanced course, I think it has got easier since you did it. When I did it last Nov/Dec, we only had to do five dives. Navigation and Deep were compulsory, and we got to choose the other three. Night was optional. I've seen people do the whole thing in two days, although I felt I got more out of it by spreading the dives out.

Susan, if you want to do a very easy dive from Phuket, try a day trip to Racha Yai -- the sites there usually have good viz and calm water, and are relatively shallow. I am not (yet) a very confident diver, but really enjoyed diving there -- very relaxing. Also, if you want to do a refresher course, someone should be willing to take your money! The customer is always right, and all that.

Have a great trip,

Zept

Back
Top Bottom