Bonne Terre Mine Review 1/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbkinger

New
Reaction score
Went down to Bonne Terre Mine this past weekend for a couple of dives. The Mine is located about an hour south of St. Louis, MO. in teh town of Bonne Terre, MO. They have diving year round. It was a lead mine until I think the 60's. Once they shut it down they shut the pumps down and it progressively filled with crystal clear water. I tried going in there with an open mind despite all of the negative reviews on this place. I am glad I did because we had a wonderful experience and can’t wait to go back. All of the staff there were nice and helpful. Mike and Rudy were the staff members that were with us and they were great. Two of the divers that were with us were newly certified (this being their first dive outside of certification) and the staff was very patient with them and offered them as much help as they could.

When you and the rest of your scheduled group arrives you will have a briefing where the guide will go over all of the rules and anything else you will need to know about the dives. Then you will get dressed into your suits in the locker room, which is up on the surface. After you are dressed and ready you will head down the mine entrance, which looks on the surface to be a tool shed. Once you get to the bottom after about a 1/3-mile walk including some stairs you arrive in the mine, which is a large open area. Almost reminds you of a small sorts stadium. Only take what you will need and not a thing extra. I would suggest renting your weights at the bottom for $10, wear your BC, and just carry your reg, fins, and mask with you. The walk down is fine but the walk back up would have been a lot more enjoyable without carrying my 30 lbs of weight and my dive bag. One you are on the dock you will get your tanks set up and get ready to get in the water. The staff comes around and checks all of your equipment regardless of your experience. They are all willing to lend a helping hand. At the beginning of your first dive you will drop down to the bottom at 20 feet and perform safety checks. This is done for all divers again regardless of your experience or level. The checks include flooding your mask and doing a mask clear as well as demonstrating that you know how to buddy breathe. Once that is complete you go on with your dives. During the dive you swim along and the guide will point out different points of interest. Things you may see are different pieces of old mining equipment that were left there and you may get a glimpse of the only fish (a Bass) living in the mine. The only part I didn't like so much was the stop and go follow the leader type diving. It still was good though. Water temp was around 58 degrees. I was comfortable in my 6.5 mm 2 piece wetsuit and hood. They do an air check about halfway through of all divers and decide where to go from there. Towards the end of the dive they will lead you to the exit area will there will be a bar at 15 ft in order for you to do your safety stop. We did Trails one and two that time. Both dives were to max depths of around 50 feet and both dives were between 40 and 45 minutes. n Visability was very clear. The way they have it set up is you do trail one before you do trail 2, trail 2 before trail 3, and so on. I have heard that the dives get progressively better as you move on. Some of the reasons why I could see people had negative experiences were that there were a lot of people diving in their group ( ours consisted of the four that we cam with and the two guides which was nice), divers do not show up on time, and also that some people are just not relaxed enough in the water. They do have a lot of rules that they make sure are followed. But there are probably very good reasons for these rules to be followed. Overall Bonne Terre mine has a good diver operation running. I would definitely recommend it others. I live about 15 min south of St. Louis so with this place being less than an hour away it is hard to pass up. Sorry so long but I tried to get it all in. Their website is www.2dive.com. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me at CBKinger@sbcglobal.net. Enjoy!

King

Did I miss something or did you take a newly certified diver into a cave? Ohhhh the Scuba Police will be mad!

WesTexDiver:
Did I miss something or did you take a newly certified diver into a cave? Ohhhh the Scuba Police will be mad!

WesTex, where did he say cave? Bone Terre Mine is a MINE - there is access to air at the surface at all times; there is NO OVERHEAD environment

You have rainwater being filtered thru limestone for approx 150 ft undergound and dripping into the old mine. It is a most excellent experience, and they are particular as the water is both cool and can get deep. Their rules are their rules and they fully expect you to follow them.

We are trying to book a trip in March if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the review. I've not seen many of them on the mine.

$10 to rent weights at the bottom? *ouch*. That almost borders on robbery. They are definately taking advantage of the fact that people have a long way to walk to this site.

I'd still like to dive there one day though.

what part of the group was diving wet and diving dry?

Thank you for the detailed report, my sister-in-law has been there and she had a great time. I'm hoping to get there some day.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've been there. I think that they charge way too much for a dive. The scuba police should arrest them for outrageous rates.
I'm glad I did several dives in that unique environment but now I feel like....been there done that.

Went there this weekend with 4 others from the Chicago Scuba Meetup.com group. A good time, but definitely pricey at $65 a dive! On the other hand it's almost understandable when you consider they have to pay a guide/leader and maybe 2 or 3 safety divers for each trail depending on the size of the group. Not to mention mortgage payments and liability insurance!

The locker rooms are small & crowded, with only 1 toilet and 2 showers (on the men's side) and only 1 shower was working when we were there. My biggest disappointment was to find the "Hot Showers" cost a dollar in quarters for 3 minutes! (For the money you spend to dive, we all thought that was out of line.)

Note to all: West End Dive Shop that rents the gear is located about 70 miles away in Bridgeton MO. Do NOT assume they are close by because they are not. They maintain a bunch of tanks and hard weights in the mine 150' underground, but there will be nothing else for you there unless you order it in advance!

A word about accomodations: We stayed at a place called Red Cedar Lodge which is about a mile south of the exit for the mine. It's a rather "rustic" accomodation (circa 1957 I would guess), but the rooms are clean and comfortable, the phone and TV works, and (best of all) the showers offer unlimited HOT water, all for under $40/nite for a double room! They'll also give you a late checkout if you ask. (I suggested the owners try and find a local masseuse to encourage the diver-crowd!)

Really nice people run the place, and they have a couple of coin-op washers and dryers there if you want to dry stuff in a hurry. (Be patient when you call them on the phone though because English is not their first language, and their Bombay accents can be hard to understand!)

Never stayed at "The Depot", but I heard it's about twice the price. There's also a little steakhouse that serves frog legs next to the Red Cedar Lodge that's a decent value for the buck, and a nightclub upstairs that attracts a lot of local 20-40 somethings. So... You can knock a few back and shake a leg if you have any energy left at the end of the day.

Back to the diving: 100'+ visibility, 58 degree water, & lot's of old mining equipment to look at not to mention tons of "rocks in the dark". Very experienced guides ("Jim" was
our guy and he was very knowlegeable), very safety and security oriented, a rather unique diving experience staffed by very nice people. (I lost one of my integrated weight pockets just off the dock starting our 2nd dive, and they let me rummage thru their lost and found until I found something that would work. Next AM one of their staff bounced down to the 130' level under the dock and found my weight pocket and returned it for me! You bet I fed the tip jar after that!)

Back
Top Bottom