Bonica G8V15 video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I just bought this light, i only tested inside my house and i am impress by the power of this light, unfortunately i am experiencing some light flickering when using the dimmer mode, the AA bateries that i am using are new and fully charged (Energizer aa nimh 2450 maH). Are you experiencing the same problem? Should i buy Sony 2700 mah? May i ask you please to tell me which type and which capacity of aa nimh batteries that you are using?
Thank you very much :)
Hugo

With the naked eye, one could easily assume that this video light seems slightly bluish. However, objectively measuring the light quality, you would soon find out it has a color temperature of 6500 kelvin, about the same as the sun at noon.

With reasonable batteries, not the best, one should get a close to 1500 lumens for between 48 minutes and 1 hour. Our lights enjoy acclaim by many of their owners.

Try looking into the light!

Gary Cross
Sales Manager

Hi sir,
Can you please answer to my question above? (Flickering problem... )
Thank you :)
Hugo

Hi,
I just bought this light, i only tested inside my house and i am impress by the power of this light, unfortunately i am experiencing some light flickering when using the dimmer mode, the AA bateries that i am using are new and fully charged (Energizer aa nimh 2450 maH). Are you experiencing the same problem? Should i buy Sony 2700 mah? May i ask you please to tell me which type and which capacity of aa nimh batteries that you are using?
Thank you very much :)
Hugo

Hugo, Please contact me at Bonica at splash@bonicadive.com. I believe, in this case, your batteries may not be the problem. Our first run of production of this light sometimes had this issue. If correct, such will be addressed very quickly under the warranty.

Gary Cross, Sales Manager

Thank you for the quick reply, i just sent you an email (splash@bonicadive.com)
Hugo :)

I have used this light for about 9months. I would agree with most of the comments. The volume of light and dispersion are excellent for the dollars. I dont use the lights to the detail of some of the posters. I dont care about the Kelvins...just that it is white - not adding much to the natural colour. Pros - high lumen, self contained, affordable Cons - self contained (?) - heavy bobby heads, ball joints not easy to adjust. I just have the single light and arm but looking to acquire the second light and arm.

Hi to all,

I've had 4 Bonica LED's and all broke down. First set was replaced free of charge, but second set also broke down very quick. It's a low-budget light with great performance. The problem is... you won't enjoy it very long. The construction is cheap and will certainly break down after a while. (A year or max 2) Also it had a big non-servicable o-ring for the dimmerswitch. As I'm very enthousiastic about the concept but they should do a few things: No dimmerswitch with a non-servicable o-ring; give the light a second reed operated switch with full-power and say 40% power. Assembly should be done with silicon grease on the bolts. They don't do that so you can never open and repair them. Electronics should be redesigned. Better reed contact and magnets. Before thy do that.. stay away from them. I've send detailed information to Mr. Gary Cross, so hopefully they listen to an old dive and video pro. As said... it can be a great product!

I have been using bonica cameras since 2008 and I am having a very hard time justifying purchase of those lights. I am very happy with the camera and right now I have a handle tray (from bonica) with 2 Big Blue CF-250 flashlights attached to it. I would love to purchase their lights but I just can't justify the price. Tray costs around $40. Each balljoint costs $40. Each light costs $400. When bought separately it costs $920. When bought "together" it costs $870+shipping so $890 or so. On top of it you need to buy 16 rechargeable batteries and charger for $36. (I already have charger so it would be $10 less). So now we are over $900 some dollars and lights cost pretty much twice what camera costs. I have kicked idea of buying "together" package for almost a year and still have concerns. It's just too expensive darn it. Especially considering that lights last less than 1 hour. In a cavern dive situation that is not enough for a 2 tank dive resulting in purchase of more rechargeable batteries. And of course those suckers take forever to charge so you would end up owning 64 batteries to last you a dive weekend. By contrast my big blue lights last me 2.5 hours (already verified through multiple dive trips) but each is 250 lumens. I do not know if that makes it a 500 lumens flash light system or not but my last trip to Devil's den came out pretty nice. Have a look. I was constantly switching from 1 to 2 flashlights to figure out limits of camera.
Devils Den Scuba - YouTube

bonica_my_camera.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom