Bonica G8V15 video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all
Does anyone here have any experience of the LED video light now sold with the Bonica HDDV package (also available independently).
I'm wondering if the 1500 lumens claim is realistic and and also if there is any "blueness" in the light as it is rated at 6500K?
Thanks
RR

I would also be very interested in hearing any reviews on this light. I was also wondering how it attaches to the housing? Does it use a standard 1 inch ball that would be compatible with an ultralight clamp?

I'm also considering these lights. I've tried to find reviews, but nothing seems to be out there other than retailers descriptions.

So just to bump this thread up, are there still no reviews on this light? im very tempted to buy one and review it myself if not.

If the statements are true about it putting out 1500 lumens and running for 60 minutes on full power with 8 AA batteries, seems like a very good setup. my UK HID 100's did okay for some close up video and they only put out 500 lumens.

So just to bump this thread up, are there still no reviews on this light? im very tempted to buy one and review it myself if not.

If the statements are true about it putting out 1500 lumens and running for 60 minutes on full power with 8 AA batteries, seems like a very good setup. my UK HID 100's did okay for some close up video and they only put out 500 lumens.

If you do end up buying one let me know how it works. I am dying for some reviews. It sounds like a great set-up for a very affordable price, but who knows if it really does what it says. I'm wondering if it only puts out 1500 lums for the first 5 minutes or something and then begins to fade. The old adage if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is could apply here. But then again, why couldn't someone make a high powered and affordable light. Why do good lights have to cost 600-1000 and up? Those prices seem pretty inflated to me. If Fisheye can make a 1000 lum light and sell it for $599.00, why couldn't Bonica squeeze an extra 500 lums in and make it a few hundred cheaper? Granted I don't know anything about the quality of that company, but it does seem possible to make a light like that. Regardless, let me know if you get one. Thank you!

Anyone from Bonica here to give more details about this light? Any videos of it in use?

Hello,

I am using two of these lights, for the money they seem very good.

Better suited to macro as they only have a 60 degree spread...in fact being dimmable they are GREAT for macro.

They seem less bright than my L&M Sunray HID's that are rated at 1000 lumens but still very bright.

They do have a subtle hot spot, which has not been visible in footage.

Have done about a dozen dives with them, they seem quite solid and no problems so far:)

I made a home-made fitting to mount to loc-line arms.. the lights are too heavy to have a lot of segments. Ultralite arms would be better.

Hope that helps!

Yup, they fit most arms with "about " one inch balls. They do NOT fit the Sea and Sea Orange arm set.
Roger Roth recently made a small loc line attachment and says he is happy.

We'll be doing reviews and comparisons on video LED lights in Roatan in July (next month) and Bonica was contacted. After discussing the project with their rep (talked also during the Tacoma and Long Beach Shows) they basically were not interested in us comparing their lights to others on the market... we hoped that they would be proud of their lights for third party endorsements. Others have provided lights for our demo and review event. Their packages seem to be priced right for the recreational diver and it's too bad we won't have any of their gear to do the reviews on. Maybe next year. Rumor has it that most everyone is coming out with a new and improved LED light for next year... maybe the prices are coming down too!

Hi everyone,

Here's a quick youtube video featuring our video light G8V15 along with the JVC Everio HD video camera. Package details here: BonicaDive

Here's a review from Long Beach Scuba Show seminar speaker Josh Kaye-Carr:

I've been using Bonica's LED lights for a couple of months now and I am very impressed with their performance.

As a working underwater professional filmmaker, I've shot with everything from homemade camera and light housings to high-end custom designed cinema grade equipment and everything in-between. Having said that, the value for dollar spent is striking in these new lights.

They are well engineered, compact, efficient, and easy to use, and they are fully dim-able. One of their best features in my opinion is the evenness of the pool of light they deliver on the subject. You can test this for yourself by shining one of them on a plain white wall (or better yet, a projection screen) and look for hot spots. You won't find any. This is quite a feat for an inexpensive all-in-one light. The optical engineering is very good. Many much more expensive lights have noticeable hot spots.

They also provide relatively high output for their size. At 1500 lumens, they are actually more powerful than several competitive models that cost nearly $2500 per pair. A pair of Bonica LEDs retails for $900. Angle of coverage is listed at 60 degrees and while not quite as wide as some other lights, this can be compensated for by judicious placement and angling of the heads.

Are there any downsides? Sure, there always are. Being self-powered, they are heavier than lamp-only designs that have separate batteries. This requires that your mounting arms be of the more substantial variety. While Bonica's provided arms are good, there are better choices on the market but they may cost you almost as much as Bonica's affordable LEDs themselves, so buyer beware. Also, being self-powered, when the batteries become exhausted, you need to surface to change or charge them. Some other designs allow you to change power sources underwater, but again, at a substantial increase in price. For most underwater video hobbyists, this is not a significant minus.

On balance, Bonica has developed one of the best affordable underwater lights available on the market. This includes systems costing well over twice as much. While I will continue to use many other lighting systems in my professional work, there will always be a pair of Bonica LEDs in my kit bag.

Back
Top Bottom