Bonding rubber fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pair of old aqua lung rocket fins that don't fit my feet, so i'm cutting and pasting a larger pocket. Does anybody know what to use to bond rubber? is there a glue? Do you melt two edges and shove them together?

Last edited:
Mostly i just want to prevent the rubber from splitting further after i cut it apart.

I have no idea, but Rockets are the perfect fins to test, it's no loss if it doesn't work.

That could be construed as a little rude Walter.

Hi

I wouldn't know which glue to use. Go to a local store for this, and check what they have available. Because somebody can give you a brand and type, but it can be very hard to procure then.

I have some other advice for you which is very important!
Make a round hole at the end of the cut. This will reduce the risk of further splitting

(similar to repairing cracks in fiberglass and carbon)

photo_3.jpg

forgot to mention something:

If you dive in salt-water, make sure that you tell it to the guy in the shop. It can be that a different glue is needed because some chemicals derate due to the salt.

I woudn't take either of their recommendations. A spray cement is just not going to do the job - too thin, not enough gap filling ability. Barge is just yet another yellow neoprene cement. You might just as well use Pliobond or Weldwood contact cement from your hardware store.

I'd probably use a black neoprene wetsuit cement - they are intended for neoprene but work really well on black rubber too. Or some Viking drysuit cement I knew anyone who had some and would let me use little - its too expensive to buy for just one job.

I haven't had much luck butt-cementing rubber in such applications. I'd add a patch on the outside, with 1/2" or more overlap on each side, and one on the inside if there was room. Tire/tube patches would work well, especially on the inside, as they are often feathered/skived so they don't have a protruding edge to catch things.

Never mind, i just found an awesome site that told me!

This to That (Glue Advice)

What about the cement that's used in bicycle tire repair kits? That's meant to bond rubber to rubber...

D

Back
Top Bottom