Bonaire's Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what the National Geographic Travel folks have to say about our wonderful island:

Bonaire
Score: 68

"Hailed for its conservation practices, Bonaire's coral reef management and sustainable tourism awareness program deserve special mention. Areas of concern are the rapidly growing real estate sector and government intention to expand tourism, with potential stress on natural resources."

"It's all about the diving . . . and for good reason. The reefs are among the most easily accessible in the world and are reasonably protected."

"High aesthetic appeal showcasing desert isle character. Some resorts now detracting from the small destination feel."

"Stewardship of natural environment has been a hallmark of Bonaire, yet island is now poised to become overdeveloped, and sewage treatment is minimal."

Somebody on Bonaire needs to wise up! If the reefs go, the tourists won't be far behind... :palmtree: Bob

[In reply to some now-deleted trolling posts about development on Klein Bonaire]

I've been poking around recently and found this Foundation Preservation Klein Bonaire - Home Page which says, as DiverVince suggested, that as of 1999 Klein Bonaire is closed to development. Not a whole lot of info on current status, but it sounds hopeful.

I was even idly speculating to myself that that's the long-term plan by those that own Bonaire: Turn the main island into another Aruba, but leave Klein's reefs for divers. It also means boat dives instead of shore dives, equals more ongoing revenue for dive operators. All good if you're a property owner or Dive Op.
I emphasise: all my own speculation about where the increased development on Bonaire and the preserved status of Klein might take us, down the road.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom