Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RevCindyA

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not a diver (inner ear issues) but my husband is. He's pretty advanced, with certs in wreck, cave and rescue among others. He hasn't dove too much internationally and his favorite spot so far has been Belize. I also found Belize to have the best snorkeling I've ever experienced.

I'm planning us a trip for September 2016 for the two us us plus our snorkeling but non-diving 24-year-old son. There is a possibility that our friends, non-divers but beach lovers, might go with us. I was thinking 10 -14 days with a budget of about $5000-$6000 not including airfare from the east coast of the US.

Any suggestions you can offer as to where to stay, where to dive and what else to do would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello all,

I am not a diver (inner ear issues) but my husband is. He's pretty advanced, with certs in wreck, cave and rescue among others. He hasn't dove too much internationally and his favorite spot so far has been Belize. I also found Belize to have the best snorkeling I've ever experienced.

I'm planning us a trip for September 2016 for the two us us plus our snorkeling but non-diving 24-year-old son. There is a possibility that our friends, non-divers but beach lovers, might go with us. I was thinking 10 -14 days with a budget of about $5000-$6000 not including airfare from the east coast of the US.

Any suggestions you can offer as to where to stay, where to dive and what else to do would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Bonaire is not a good destination for beach lovers. Good snorkeling, great diving, but you would be better off in NJ for beaches. I'd leave the beach lovers behind and enjoy the ultimate diving freedom.

Why not? I hadn't heard this before.

Why not? Because there is no sandy beach! The Bonaire shoreline is "rocky"--as in the kind made of ancient coral reef limestone.

Please have patience....I need to have things spelled out for me as I'm not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. I'm looking at a hotel in Bonaire that is sitting right on a strand of what looks like beach, with beach chairs all lined up there. I see the roughness of the coral at the shore but does that mean that no one swims there or lays out on a lounge chair? I don't care if we can't build sand castles but we do want to be able to swim.

Please have patience....I need to have things spelled out for me as I'm not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. I'm looking at a hotel in Bonaire that is sitting right on a strand of what looks like beach, with beach chairs all lined up there. I see the roughness of the coral at the shore but does that mean that no one swims there or lays out on a lounge chair? I don't care if we can't build sand castles but we do want to be able to swim.

Yes, there are a few narrow beaches with very nice white sand that may actually go into the water; but not many. With just a little care, you can enter the water and swim without any problem in those areas. If that is what you are looking for then pick that place. But Bonaire is just not a beach destination. You may want to look for more pictures before you commit.

EDIT: Take a close look at bonaire on google earth: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zKIICdMFNrtU.kTWoLRG-h2qA&hl=en

There are some pretty sand beachs just west of the airport that are used by the locals as well as diver and snorkelers. And between there and town, there are more similar small beaches that probably include the property you are looking at. There are a few other spots where you can find sand beachs including a very nice naturalist beach, but not many.

Is that Harbour Village you are looking at? It is unique on Bonaire, and also the highest price.

I think what we are trying to say is... Bonaire does not have the long sandy beaches that come to mind when talking about vacation spots... Most of Bonaire shore line is broken coral and what we call "IRON shore", Which is sharp and not nice to walk on noless lay on.. There are some very nice sandy spots like where the wind surfer are... Bonaire is a divers, Snorkelers and wind surfers dream place... Not to much for land lovers and beach sitters... Jim...

Back
Top Bottom