Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay okay--I overstated the absence of beach. There are a few small sandy beaches. I guess the nicer ones are on resort properties and are either artificially built or at least maintained. The sandy patches that constitute public beaches around the island have never looked that appealing to me. They ain't Miami Beach, Waikiki or the Jersey Shore. If your "beach lovers" do not need wide expanses of pretty white sand, or are content to spend their beach time at a resort's little beach, they might be satisfied.

Swimming and snorkeling are great in many places, but you typically get to the water by walking over or between rocky areas. There just aren't that many places where people can stand up from the beach towels they've been lying on and run straight into the water.

Okay okay--I overstated the absence of beach. There are a few small sandy beaches. I guess the nicer ones are on resort properties and are either artificially built or at least maintained. The sandy patches that constitute public beaches around the island have never looked that appealing to me. They ain't Miami Beach, Waikiki or the Jersey Shore. If your "beach lovers" do not need wide expanses of pretty white sand, or are content to spend their beach time at a resort's little beach, they might be satisfied.

Swimming and snorkeling are great in many places, but you typically get to the water by walking over or between rocky areas. There just aren't that many places where people can stand up from the beach towels they've been lying on and run straight into the water.

You meant to say " We divers always end up walking through a minefield of rocks and holes to get to our dive spots " but it's worth every step... :wink::D

Jim...

Okay okay--I overstated the absence of beach.

It is not possible to overstate the absence of beach on Bonaire.

:D

I'm planning us a trip for September 2016 for the two us us plus our snorkeling but non-diving 24-year-old son. There is a possibility that our friends, non-divers but beach lovers, might go with us.

I suggest you reconsider taking people with a different agenda on a trip where their needs may compromise what the rest of you want to do.

I love Bonaire. For diving. There's a donkey sanctuary to visit, the park up north to drive through & photograph a half day, and if you want to try kite boarding or wind surfing, this could be your place.

What I've heard of Curacao sounds like a possibility for you. Do a forum search. From what I'm told (been to Bonaire 8 times; Curacao only to change planes), it's something like this:

1.) Larger island with longer swim outs to reef drop off but sandy beaches with easier entries.
2.) The road running parallel to the coast is further inland, so you may need to make turn offs onto side roads to reach some dive sites.
3.) A number of dive sites have 'amenities' (e.g.: food, bathrooms, rental tanks) but may charge a small fee. Some people find this appealing & some do not.
4.) There are operators you can hire to take you around to shore sites; Bas Harts posts on this forum & it's probably who I'd look up 1st; the Dive Bus is also well known. Both seem to have a good reputation.
5.) More 'non-diving' things to do.
6.) It's generally more practical to cram more dives into a week on Bonaire vs. Curacao, but you could probably get plenty of dives in for a family trip.

If I got any of that wrong, some of the Curacao visitors can hopefully explain.

A big issue is whether your husband wants to mainly boat dive or shore dive. The glory of Bonaire is shore diving. If you just want to boat dive, you can do so, but it's a less compelling destination. Curacao is also famous for shore diving. Another issue is how many dives/day he's after. Bonaire is like the all-you-can-eat buffet of shore diving; you land on the island & start figuring out # dives/total trip cost = value; how can I make this trip a big value? If your husband wants to do 2 dives/day, and spend the rest with family and maybe skip a day of diving, he might only do 10 dives the whole week!

Richard.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 06:45 PM ----------

P.S.: I suggest your husband do something like I do. Take about 1 week a year to head off alone to a destination that lends itself to a lot of diving fast. Bonaire, Key Largo (2 trips/day with Rainbow Reef Dive Center), CocoView in Roatan, most any live-aboard...I've been to Bonaire, Key Largo & did a Belize live-aboard (Sun Dancer 2). I hope to someday hit CocoView.

Then, spend a week on what my wife calls a dive trip disguised as a family vacation. This is actually what I did in Key Largo (but got 20 dives), Jupiter in Florida, & most recently Morehead City, North Carolina. I linked you some of my trip reports. Warning: Key Largo is not a beach destination. You can get beach around Jupiter & Morehead City (Atlantic City Beach, for example).

Richard.

... patience....I need to have things spelled out for me as I'm not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. ...

Just the hottest.

:cool2:

If you want to give your diving husband a great vacation, take him to Bonaire. If Harbour Village fits your budget, go for it. There are also some rentals, condo and home, that I understand have access to small beaches. But it is not a typical tropical vacation destination.

Trust me, we are usually enthusiastically encouraging divers to go. A thread discouraging someone is rare. In fact, it's a first in my SB experience.

image.jpg

This is is the more typical shoreline on Bonaire. No fun for sunbathing. Those dark areas at the waterline are large submerged rocks and pieces of coral.

Besides the beach, what does your group like to do on vacation? That would be helpful information in giving you advice whether is a good fit for you.

Any suggestions you can offer as to where to stay, where to dive and what else to do would be appreciated.
Resorts with beaches on Bonaire where you can actually access the water without using a ladder or steps to it.

Plaza Resort
Harbour Village
Divi Flamingo - small beach that may be bigger when current improvements are done.
Sand Dollar/Den Laman Condos share a strip about 50' wide.

Public Beaches with facilities elsewhere on the island. Facilities defined as any of: shade, bathrooms, restaurant etc.

This space intentionally left blank. Although someone is re-working the old resort area between Den Laman and Eden Beach currently afaik. The reason I didn't mention Eden Beach is this is theirs: http://r-ec.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max300/667/6672637.jpg And that is a curb in front keeping it from washing away - and ironshore in the water.

It is not possible to overstate the absence of beach on Bonaire.
Or how good and plentiful beaches are on Curacao. Which is often easier/cheaper to get to with the same diving. The beaches are also usually dive/snorkel sites.
Jeremi on the west side is called one of the 10 best snorkels in the Eastern Caribbean by Frommers. And the Tugboat - a signature Curacao dive - is also an excellent snorkel as it's 17' deep.

Resorts with good to excellent beaches on Curacao - Lions Dive, Sunscape AI, Avila Beach Hotel, Santa Barbara Beach Resort, Holiday Beach Resort, Marriot Emerald Beach resort, Papagayo Beach Hotel, Blue Bay Resort, Lagoon Blou condos, I think you can see where I'm going with this...

Last edited:
You have had a couple of suggestions for Curacao. Those were good suggestions.

The reefs there are very similar to the reefs of Bonaire, so the diving will be very comparable. The first big difference is the beaches. Curacao has a lot of nice, sandy beaches. Some are very secluded. Some have all the amenities. The next comparison is the city. Willemstad on Curacao is much more picturesque, with much more to offer.

My non-diving wife did the ABC's in order. Aruba had the best to offer for my non-diving wife, but it was the worst for my diving. Boanire had fine diving, but my wife felt it had little to nothing for her--and, yes, the beaches are primarily coral rubble. We both liked Curacao and wished we had spent more time there.

A little background: I gave him a trip to Cozumel just after my dad died as a thank you for all he did for my parents. He dove a lot on that trip. We were thinking about Hawaii for our 25th but the planning was daunting so we ended up in Belize. He dove a lot there too. He claims that this trip doesn't have to have a diving focus but, in my mind, it seem dumb to go to the Caribbean and not have him do at least some diving. He never used to be much for laying around in a beach chair, but when we were in Aruba in February with our friends, he was happy to do just that. I think it was the spending time with friends that kept him in the chair and not feeling like he had to go, go, go all the time. That's one reason I'm inviting the same friends on this trip.

We've got 12-14 nights to play with. Is that too long for Curacao?

In Aruba most of the group did an ATV tour that they loved. I took a bus sightseeing. We like to eat, drink frosty beverages, lounge by the pool, do kitschy shopping on one day. Animal or botanical gardens or easy to moderate hikes would be okay.

Someone in another group suggested Grand Cayman. I'm looking into that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom