Bonaire Trip Report: March 10-17, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Day 1: We drove to Houston and flew the Continental red-eye, arriving in Bonaire 40 minutes early. Wow, what a quick flight! The slowness of the baggage handlers negated the early arrival, but we’re in Bonaire, so who cares. We rented our vehicle through Telerin and it wasn’t ready when we arrived because one of the outgoing flights was departing a few hours later than scheduled. Anyway, Poppy dropped the vehicle off for us around 9:00 AM, so it really wasn’t an inconvenience. She paid for a cab to take us to Belmar. Belmar check in was quick and painless. Our room (unit #14) was ready about 30 minutes after we arrived. We just unpacked and rested for a bit until the orientation. When I booked our reservation, I had requested a 1 bedroom with a nice sunset view and they didn’t disappoint, that’s for sure. We had a perfect view, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Once our orientation was done, we made a trip to the Warehouse for groceries (we ate lunches in and went out to dinner every night). Belmar House Reef was our first dive. We saw three flounders, three sharp tail eels, and the usual multitude of fish. It was a very nice & relaxing first dive. It’s sure great to be back!!! We ate at Pasa Bon Pizza. I had the veggie pizza with a salad and my husband had the lasagna with a salad. Yum!!! I ordered a large pizza so I’d have leftovers for lunch for a good chunk of the week. I love their pizza!
The only downside to our first day was my husband left the lights on in the truck while we were eating and it wouldn’t start. We tried pushing it and getting it started, which, by the way, is really fun when you’re exhausted, but that didn’t work. Anyway, it ended up that a super nice local guy stopped and helped us get it started.

Day2: Went on the “BT” Woodwind Snorkel Cruise. Met a great group of people and had a nice time snorkeling. We saw a nurse shark at Ebo’s Reef, which was the first time I’ve seen a shark on Bonaire. Very cool! I’m fascinated by sharks. The second snorkel spot was between Andrea I and II, but my husband and I didn’t snorkel for long because I was getting really cold. Did a late afternoon dive at Margate Bay. It was a very nice dive with lots of soft corals. Ate at Casablanca. I had the Wahoo w/green onion sauce and my husband had the filet. Both were OK, but nothing to write home about. The sides were terrific though, especially one that I hadn’t had before. We asked what it was and we were told that it was pumpkin. Our waiter offered to bring more, but we were too full to take him up on the offer.

Day 3: Our first dive of the day was at Yellow Submarine. Woohoo, I finally found my very first Bonaire seahorse! I was soooo excited. I watched him for a long time and actually got to see him swimming. It made my day. Also saw three sharptail eels & a spotted moray. Our second dive of the day was Andrea I. We saw two squid, barracuda, a turtle, and a lot of soft coral. Very nice dive! Ate at Will’s Tropical Grill. I had the Wahoo and my husband had the filet. Neither one of us were too impressed with our entrée. We did enjoy our appetizer and breadsticks, but I doubt we’ll go back again.

Day 4: Our first dive was Oil Slick. Very enjoyable dive. All the usual fish with a lot of hard corals. Next we scooted over to Witches Hut. Another very nice dive! Our third dive was a night dive at the Belmar House Reef. It was a great dive! Two tarpon joined us for the dive. I noticed some translucent critters that seemed to be attracted to the light. They looked as if they had LEDs inside. I’m not sure what they were, but I had fun watching them. We ate at It Rains Fishes, which is one of our favorites. I had the Wahoo w/creamy mustard sauce and my husband had the filet w/green peppercorn sauce. Both were fantastic, as were the sides and appetizer.

Day 5: First dive of the day was Invisibles. This was my 100th dive. It was a nice relaxing dive with a lot of juvenile fish. Our second dive was Angel City. We saw a free swimming spotted moray and a tiny juvenile spotted drum, which was just toooooo cute. Third dive was Oil Slick Leap. I actually did a giant stride entry, which I was a little nervous about at first, but after I did it, I thought it was very fun. We saw three spotted morays, a large sharptail eel, two peacock flounders, a fireworm, and tons of juvenile fish. We ate at Cactus Blue. We started off with ceviche for an appetizer, which wasn’t that great. For the entrée, I had the Caesar salad with grilled shrimp and my husband had the babyback ribs. Both were very good, but I thought it was a bit pricey.

Day 6: First dive, Witches Hut. We saw another tiny spotted drum and a Spanish lobster, which was very cool. It looks like a large beetle. Second dive was Ol’ Blue. This is one of my favorite dive sites. We saw lots of fireworms, anemones (purple and white), juvenile fish and a large scorpion fish. We’re doing the Town Pier night dive, so we ate a late lunch at City Grill. I had the fish fajitas and my husband had a cheeseburger. Both were good, but service was very, very slow (I think it was just the waitress we had). We’ve been wanting to do the Town Pier, but until this trip, we were unable to because of ships being in port. We saw two frog fish, a red and white striped seahorse, a decorator crab, tons of fireworms, brittle stars, and arrow crabs. I just loved the orange cup coral. It’s so beautiful! We both thoroughly enjoyed the dive.

Day 7: Our last dive of the trip was the Belmar House Reef. We got a really early start so our wet suits could get completely dry before packing. We saw two spotted morays, peacock flounder, scorpion fish. It was a very relaxing dive. We drove to Gotomeer Lake and took pictures of the Flamingos. We ate at Pasa Bon Pizza. I had the veggie calzone with a salad and my husband had a supreme pizza (I think) with a salad.

This was our first trip to Bonaire without our kids. We thought we’d get a lot more dives in than before, but we both found we were getting cold on our dives, so we actually ended up doing one less. The last two trips I was fine with only a 3mm wetsuit, so I didn’t bother bringing my 5mm this time. Boy, did I wish I had it after a few days. Oh well, live and learn. All in all, it was a wonderful trip and I can’t wait to go back!

My husband took a lot of beautiful pictures. He's posted some in the photo gallery, which can be found at this link: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/2306

Excellent report and pictures. The juvenile something is a Slender Filefish, tough to get a good shot of those little guys.

Thanks Cecil, my first guess had been a scrawled filefish.

Very nice and thorough report.
Going Bonaire next week!!! :monkeydan: (1st time)

Martha: Do you have water temperatures from your dive computer?? I´m going next week and me and my wife just got 3mm shortys, but We´d have a better idea if we knew water temp from last week, hope you have info at hand :coffee:

Thanks and congrats!

leousb - The temps from my computer were 79-80 degrees and my husband's computer ranged from 79-81 degrees.

I have a feeling you'll love Bonaire and this will probably be your first of many trips. I hope you have a terrific time!!!

Thx Martha, tha temp should be fine for us. Couple of weeks ago dove around 22-24 °c and the temps you mentioned (79-80°F) are in the middle 26´s so we should be ok. We here (Venezuela) we use Celsius degrees, although I´ve to say that diving 22 or 23°C is not the most fun thing to do . . . 26 should be fine , or at least I hope so. . .

:dancingsnoopy:

Thanks for sharing. I cant wait until June 2nd. We are staying at the Sand Dollar.
Great pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom