Bonaire Trip Report for 6/28 - 7/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon2115

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I recently returned from our first trip to Bonaire. One of the first things we noticed was that other drivers tend to wave to you. And they use all five fingers, not just one!

We did the Boston – Aruba – Bonaire route, which worked out well for us. There was only one delay due to a cargo plane that had gotten a flat tire right smack in the middle of the runway in Curacao which closed the airport for several hours, trapping the BE plane there. We finally got out on the 9:00pm Curacao/Bonaire flight so better late than never. The return flights were no problem at all with only a few minutes delay leaving Charlotte.

We stayed at the Deep Blue View Bed & Breakfast. http://www.deepblueview.com The DBV is a nice quiet place up on the hill overlooking Kralendijk and Klein Bonaire. The DBV is owned and run by Menno de Bree & Esther Wiegerink, and I can’t say enough nice things about them. Menno met us at the airport, helped us get our truck, and lead us up to the villa. The DBV is a full service dive operation so we decided to do our AOW and Nitrox courses with them. Menno taught the Nitrox class and Karin taught the AOW. Karin is another very nice person that it was our pleasure to meet and dive with.

Tanks are available on premises but are filled off-site so you don’t have to listen to any compressors. Menno keeps the tank farm well stocked and we didn’t see anyone run short.

The lockers are secure and very adequate for storing two sets of gear. They’re robustly made so we had no fear of leaving our gear in them. They’re just far enough away from the rooms that you can come back from a night dive, rinse and store your gear, and not disturb the other guests.

The boat diving schedule is very flexible at DBV. Menno tailors it to what the guests want. We needed to do a drift dive for our AOW and my wife was really hot to see a sea turtle so Menno made one of the boat dives a drift dive off of Klein Bonaire in a spot likely to see turtles. The other guests were invited to join us if they wished. We did get to see a couple of turtles but they were a bit skittish toward divers. Unfortunately the turtle conservation people were there before us and were catching and tagging them so the turtles weren’t letting anyone get too close afterwards. That was disappointing but we did at least get to see a couple of them.

We got in 18 dives each during our stay on the island with two of them being night dives. We saw lots of cool things such as a frogfish, flamingo tongue nudibranch, and a long snout sea horse, all of which Menno found for us. There were lots of eels ranging from small baby golden tail morays to a 6’ free swimming green moray we ran into at Invisibles. That is one impressive animal to see out in the open. Especially when it’s swimming straight at you and then passes directly under you only a few feet away. We tried to follow it hoping for a better photo-op but it was hopeless, he was just moving along too fast for us to keep up.

The sites we dove were Petri’s Pillar, Carl’s Hill, Hilma Hooker, Angle City, Invisibles, Front Porch, Cliff, Andrea I, The Lake, Jerry’s Reef, Bonaventure, Windsock, Windsock Right (This one has a story to it).

The first time we went to Windsock it was late in the day and we were scouting it out as a possible night dive site. Unfortunately we missed the proper entry point, by quite a bit. According to the map we had the dive site was on one side of the runway but in fact the actual site was on the other side of the runway. That’s why I refer to it as Windsock Right. The entry was fine with a sandy initial entry then iron shore. That’s when we found the dead coral that came up shallow and was in our path to open water. We were able to find a way over and through it but it just wasn’t suitable for a night dive. Once past that minor obstacle though the dive was great.

During the dive briefing for one of our boat dives off of Klein we were told to keep an eye out for the elusive blue eared rabbit-fish as it had been seen recently there. Toward the end of our dive we were able to catch a glimpse of one for a brief moment. According to Menno we were lucky to spot it because apparently an encounter with one is pretty rare. Unfortunately we didn’t have a camera with us at the time so we were left with only memories of the encounter. If you ever see one you’ll know it because they’re pretty hard to mistake for anything else. Typical coloration is gray, blue, and tan with large blue appendages on its head that can only be described as looking like rabbit ears. If you run into one snap a picture of it if you can.

We did one night dive at Front Porch next to Bongo’s and had a blast. Where we had already done the site earlier in the day with Karin for our deep and navigation dives we were familiar with it. Menno spotted a frogfish for us and we had a great time playing with the tarpon. We did the other night dive at nearby Cliff dive site in front of Hamlet Oasis. That was a good dive and I finally got to see a squid. Unfortunately as I got close it flashed me a series of colors that I can only imagine is the squid equivalent of “I’m outta here” and took off before I could get a photo of it.

The top of the reef appeared to be in better shape at the southern sites than the northern ones. We were told this was due to the damage Lenny so there’s a bit of dead zone down to around 20 – 30 fsw. Below that they're fine. At the southern sites however we got to enjoy doing our safety stops and finishing out our tanks poking around the plants and soft corals looking for little critters.

We decided to rent an underwater camera (DX3000 w/ YS25 flash) for a few days to see if we could get some photos for the scrapbook. Since this was my first attempt at underwater photography I was pleasantly surprised that most of them are worth keeping. I’m glad we decided to rent the digital rather than the film camera because it can be addicting. During the AOW photography dive I had Karin and my wife working the reef ahead of me finding subjects to photograph. They found all sorts of things including a scorpionfish each. On that one dive we took over 100 photos. In total we shot over 420 underwater photos with about 350 of them worth keeping. I don't think that was too bad for a first attempt.

Shore diving was fun but it took my wife and I a couple of entries before we had the hang of it. The water is so clear it’s easy to misjudge if what you’re about to step on is higher or lower than you think it is. Even though there was only a very little amount of surge it’s enough to take you off your feet if you’re not ready for it. add to that I'm carrying a camera and things really get interesting fast. We worked it out by holding onto each other’s bc with one hand and moving one at a time until we were in water deep enough to put our fins on and start swimming. That gave us just enough stability to feel out what we about to step on and keep our balance. Other than that the diving was a piece of cake.

Disappointments:

I popped an ear infection the second morning on the island and got to find out about the Bonairian medical system. I must say that for my limited experience with them I was impressed. Karin was able to get an appointment right away and it only cost $20 US and a prescription for $40 US (double prescription). Luckily they had me back in action the next day. Not totally fixed up, but well enough to dive.

The only other disappointment we found was with some of the development that is going on along the waterfront to the south of town. I think it was at King’s Beach Resort there was a dive site marker stone next to the road with a “Private Property” sign and a chain across the entrance. I hope that trend doesn’t continue or it may ruin what Bonaire is all about. I think would be wise if the local government made a provision in the building code that requires new waterfront construction to preserve public access to any dive site that it may block.

Conclusion:

For my wife and I, the Deep Blue View and Bonaire in general have earned a ‘must go again’ rating on our places to vacation list. The whole atmosphere of the island was very relaxed and caused us to have one of the best vacations we can remember. So until next time, we’ll just have to be happy looking at our photos, remembering the fun we had, and looking forward to our next opportunity to visit Bonaire.

Great trip report. Sounds like you guys are in store for a case of PBD (Post Bonaire Depression). I am currently suffering a case of PBD myself. Can't wait to go back!!

Great report, we were there back in feburary, and i agree we will be going back again and again.

If you liked photography with a digital cam you can get a pretty nice cam from either b&h or 17th street photo like an olympus c7070 and pt-027 housing for about six hundred. if you have questions about it send me a private message.

The camera we rented was a DX3000 (some model of Ricoh) w/ a YS-25 flash. I don't know much about the Olympus cameras but another couple staying at DBV had a Canon A85 in a housing and he was getting incredible shots while only using the internal flash. We already have a Canon Pro1 that we use on land. Ikelite makes a housing for it but it's on the high side at $750 though. For that much I could get the A85 rig w/ external flash and the camera would be almost expendable given what the A85 goes for now.

I have some of the photos posted over on BonaireTalk at:

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/232056.html?1121438730

and

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/232077.html?1121439331

true
I have an oly c5060 and pt 020 housing and love the setup. I have two one gig cards in it and am able to shoot till my fingers bleed. I usually use the white balance and internal flash but am looking at upgrading to an external strobe. i loved using the cam down there on bonaire there were so many good photo opportunities.

Did you try casablancas, richards, or bistro de paris? I remember in a previos post for you naming them. Was just wondering if you tried them and if you enjoyed them as much as my wife and I.

Great pics Digital is wonderfull isn't it.

That's something I need to learn to do (manual white balance control) once I have my own camera. Not sure what I'm going to get since it'll be a little while before it's in the budget. But by then I should have researched it to death like I do with everything else. :)

Yes, we went to Casablanca's, Richards, Pasa Bon Pizza, Kon Tiki, and Bongo's BBQ. All of them were very good. It's a tie between Richards and Kon Tiki for my favorite though.

Dragoon2115-Great trip report. We loved Bonaire. Sorry about the ear probs, you were lucky to get it resolved so quickly. My husband is prone to ear infections when we dive and after having a dive trip in Belize affected by ear issues (no doctor on the island at the time-home remedies didn't work) we got smart. Now before every dive trip we go to our local Doc and get a prescription for antibiotics and ear drops. Can't tell you how many times it has come in handy. It's a life saver for us.

Yes, anybody that comes back from Bonaire gets a case of depression. It's awesome there. Casablanca's is really good food, same as Richards...actually Richard's is owned by of course Richard who is originally from Weymouth, MA. the Rib Factory is also really good.

booking for bonaire in a couple of weeks...love reading reports like this!!

Back
Top Bottom