Bonaire Trip Report December 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really liked Bobbiejans and have planned to go back while there - never heard of Mi Banana, but definitely sounds like something we would enjoy. Where is it located?

Very good trip report - I have to say the microwave worked when we were in Grouper, but we didn't do any real cooking - sandwiches, cereal etc. at the condo - ate out for dinner. Agree with you about the bed - very uncomfortable, along with the couch and chair. But it is clean and modern and the balcony is great. That being said, we aren't staying there again - we are staying in Vinibu at Bellevue. Diverrex - thanks for the info, would love to hear more about it. We are going in February (only 25 days to go!) and are very excited to stay there. One other thing that we really didn't like about Den Laman (I keep forgetting this) is that there are no screens in the windows or patio doors. We would much prefer fresh air than air conditioned air any day. That drew us to Vinibu as well - they have screens! We will definitely go back to Bari Reef to snorkel, we loved that!

I would be very suprised if you didn't love VINIBU. We have stayed there 2 of 3 Bonaire trips and now only want to stay there on any returns. The unit looks as good or better than what is shown on their website. Screens on all the windows. I'd be surpised if you used the AC much if at all in Feb. Lots of towels in the unit including beach towels for the pool. Last time we were there in March they didn't have any grocery bags so we bought two at the new store and brought them home (sorry). The new grocery store is great BTW. The unit has a washing machine (bring your own soap) so you can bring half the clothes and do a mid-week wash. No dryer but it has a drying rack that works well in the afternoon sun on the porch. The kitchen has everything you need, huge refrigerator. The cable and WIFI do go out at times but there are clear directions in the unit to reset them (basically just turn everything off, wait, then back on). My only complaint with the unit is that it has a very small water heater. You need to get in the shower, get wet then turn it off, wash then back on for a quick rinse. The owners are very conscious of the scarce water resources on the island so I understand that inconvenience. Other than that it's great. If you have any specific questions ask away or PM me.

Last edited:
Mi Banana is in Kralendijk, behind the church on Caya Nikiboko Noord. It's owned by the family of one of the divemasters at Buddy dive, Carlos. He is usually there in the evening waiting tables. Nice family place, good food and prices.

We also like Donna and Georgio's. Donna looks after the front of the restaurant and Georgio cooks in the back. It's a bit pricier but is consistantly good. Classical Italian menu. They do pizza only at lunch in the restaurant or in the evening for take out only. In my opinion, the pizza is much better than Passa Bon or Rumrunners.

Really liked Bobbiejans and have planned to go back while there - never heard of Mi Banana, but definitely sounds like something we would enjoy. Where is it located?

Mi Banana is in Kralendijk, behind the church on Caya Nikiboko Noord. It's owned by the family of one of the divemasters at Buddy dive, Carlos. He is usually there in the evening waiting tables. Nice family place, good food and prices.

Or if it's a better point of reference, Mi Banana is across the street (diagonally) from the now defunct Pachi's Place (brothel) which made it somewhat of an adventure. We found out about Mi Banana from Carlos whom I call the hardest working young man on Bonaire, long days at Buddy and nights in the family business, to be so young. My Sony digital picture frame just flashed a picture of Carlos and Guen at the helm of Dive Buddy - good guys!

Thank you for your review. We were in Bonaire twice last year and are actively trying to figure out when we can come back! Just a comment about accomondations. Maybe this will give you an idea for next time? Our first stay was at Coral Paradise. The rooms were nice, the packages great, and the owners were great. However, while there diving the cliff (house dive), we noticed the beachfront condos in the Hamlet. So, after MUCH research, I found Beachcomber's Villas. I think they are hard to find becuase the condo is considered VRBO and isn't found on most of the popular websites. This is where we chose to stay the second time. I'm almost reluctant to post the villas here because I'm afraid they will become so popular that we won't be able to get in. But, Beachcomber has two apartments (with the owners downstairs). We stayed in apartment 2. The bed was very comfortable. The kitchen nicely stocked. There is a huge upstairs balcony that is shared with the other apartment. The house backs up to the ocean, so the views are incredible! The house reef is The Cliff. The best part is that the house is set up for divers. Very secure, clean rinse tanks, drying racks, drying rooms. The owners barley let us lift a finger. I know this sounds just a little too "glowing", but I am sincere. My review is actually posted on their vrbo site (below). I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bonaire. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Beachcomber Villas

We went to Wils and I agree with you - it was great!

We ended up at Pasa Bon twice -hubby had the lionfish pizza, I had the sausage - some of the best pizza I've had!

We will definitely take Casablanca into consideration for this year - we love both meat and Sangria!! Sounds great - 2 weeks to go, can't wait - maybe we'll run into you!:snorkel2:

Definitely try it! We are sooooo looking forward to the meat platter.

There will be four of us this time and two are very easy to spot. My husband is tall (6'8) and my girlfriend that is coming is also tall (6'0) and has RED hair. So if you are diving Buddy's Reef or out to dinner, look for us. My name is Julia, hubbies name is Jon. Hubbies BF that is coming is Todd and my GF is Karla. Have fun! I'm so excited!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom