Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report Captn Don's 7/11-7/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tunaman, I’ve got a cruise stop in Bonaire in December and would love to dive the Hilma Hooker. Any opinion if Capt. Don’s would be a good op for that?
Rent a golf cart grab gear and tank at any of the shops downtown, (Im using dive friends this trip, you can see the Dive Inn location from the southern)pier and drive out to the Hooker, the drive should take about 15 minutes in a real car/truck so maybe 30 in a golf cart?

Rent a golf cart grab gear and tank at any of the shops downtown, (Im using dive friends this trip, you can see the Dive Inn location from the southern)pier and drive out to the Hooker, the dice should take about 15 minutes in a real car/truck so maybe 30 in a golf cart?
Good call, the surface swim out to the buoy is one of the longer ones on the island. :wink: the only reason i liked it as a boat dive. You can also enter at Angel City, swim straight out to the far reef and find the anchor chains and follow them in to the wreck, then follow the reef that the wreck sits on back to the shallows.

I wouldn't bother with a car or cart rental and all the rest of the effort just to dive a purpose sunk wreck which in fact is not that interesting. The Hooker is a novelty but IMO, hardly worth that sort of effort. If I were on Bonaire for one day only, I would head up to Buddy dive or Captain Dons, do a couple of tanks from their dock, use their dip tank and fresh water shower, have lunch at the restaurant and maybe take a dip in their pool. An even easier plan would be to do the same at the Divi; it's walking distance from the cruise dock.

Oh boy. There are many people on the board that are much more qualified than me in matters regarding Indo. Check @Dan ‘s reviews and @drrich2 has put together an outstanding thread with much research.

I’ve been to Indonesia twice. Bangka, Siladen, Bunaken, Lembeh, Manado. Going next year to Raja Ampat. I’ve been diving since 1976 and nothing comes even close to Indonesia. The colors, variety of animals/corals are truly mind blowing. Imagine looking down on a vista of corals as far as you can see with no sand visible!

And yes, I need my own room too!
Summer in Indonesia? Visit Komodo. I’m there now. Will be in the real Pink Beach tomorrow after touring Komodo National Park.

Then will go to Sangalaki on White Manta in August

End the 6-week trip in Bali to see Mola Mola.

I wouldn't bother with a car or cart rental and all the rest of the effort just to dive a purpose sunk wreck which in fact is not that interesting. The Hooker is a novelty but IMO, hardly worth that sort of effort. If I were on Bonaire for one day only, I would head up to Buddy dive or Captain Dons, do a couple of tanks from their dock, use their dip tank and fresh water shower, have lunch at the restaurant and maybe take a dip in their pool. An even easier plan would be to do the same at the Divi; it's walking distance from the cruise dock.
This plan ^^^^^^^^ is not with out it's merits, how long will you be in port?
A couple facts,
"not that interesting" is an opinion.
The ship was deemed less than sea worthy, removed from harbor, and it sank while awaiting disposition, it's location was based on input from the local diving community since it was in a place where it would do the least damage should it sink. It is not a prepared wreck.

Not to derail this further, but yeah, renting a car or golf cart and then driving down to do a shore dive is a little ambitious for me. The Divi idea, though, that seems pretty good. Not sure if they'd guarantee to go to the Hooker, but honestly anything would be fine. I was just interested in that wreck because it's kind of "THE wreck" for Bonaire.

I was just interested in that wreck because it's kind of "THE wreck" for Bonaire.
If you're ever there for a week, it is a site worth doing. The wreck is decent, though it doesn't take long to loop around unless you're deliberately going quite slowly...but the reef wall leading down to it is a nice one, with lush growth. While the wreck tends to get the attention when it's discussed, it's worth noting the reef at that site is quite good. And if you want to see something fairly big, it's often got a few tarpon hanging around.

If you're ever there for a week, it is a site worth doing. The wreck is decent, though it doesn't take long to loop around unless you're deliberately going quite slowly...but the reef wall leading down to it is a nice one, with lush growth. While the wreck tends to get the attention when it's discussed, it's worth noting the reef at that site is quite good. And if you want to see something fairly big, it's often got a few tarpon hanging around.
P7190171~3.JPG

This fat bastard was down there earlier this week, out by the end of to he mast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom