Bonaire Trip Report 2/10/07-2/18/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish:
First time to Bonaire & it won’t be my last! Great island and spectacular diving. Would not recommend the Plaza for various reasons and would never stay there again. We dove a few times with Toucan Diving and they were great. Very safety conscious group & highly recommended! …

Care to share what the problem with the Plaza was? We stayed in a Jr. Suite for a week in 2003 and a Grand Suite for two weeks in 2005 and enjoyed the stay both times. We are planning to return for two weeks in Septermber, so I would like to know of any changes.

Johnny Bravo, I am still working with the manager at Plaza to hopefully straighten out an issue so I do not want to get into anything until I know which was this is going to go.

Jetwrench, nice pic of the lobster hitch hiker!

Here's a couple more shots of Bas on the East side.

Attachments

• EastSideBasLobsterSmall.jpg
    EastSideBasLobsterSmall.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 53
  • BasandSeaFans.jpg
    BasandSeaFans.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the great trip report! I'm glad you had a positive experience. My husband and I are going for the first time in July. We are newbies, so Cai sound a bit intimidating. We might have to check out this Bas fellow...

Couldn't agree more with your review. . .experienced all of the same things denoted in your review and MORE! Can't wait to return to Bonaire . . .

Thanks for the great trip report! We were in Bonaire in November and still have PBD. Oil Slick Leap was one of my favorite dives. Will have to check out Bas next time.

Buc Chick:
Thanks for the great trip report! I'm glad you had a positive experience. My husband and I are going for the first time in July. We are newbies, so Cai sound a bit intimidating. We might have to check out this Bas fellow...

Lai Cai is a dive to be respected. Bas is there constantly and has incredible knowledge of the area, conditions and where what lives. After his briefing you will know what to expect and can enjoy the experience safely. He's also just a lot of fun! Contact him at loonybin@bonairelive.com

Susan, that is absolutely correct, it is not a dive to do without someone who knows it and Bas said he has dived that site over 800 times! His briefing was the most thorough I have ever seen and he drew it out for us in the sand, which made us more comfortable about doing this dive. It was dead on and everything he said we would see & go through happened. That was part of the exhilaration of this dive, having it execute as perfectly as it was planned. I can't say enough about the diving with Bas, he really enhanced our diving skills and our trip.

undercbon:
Lai Cai is a dive to be respected. Bas is there constantly and has incredible knowledge of the area, conditions and where what lives. After his briefing you will know what to expect and can enjoy the experience safely. He's also just a lot of fun! Contact him at loonybin@bonairelive.com

Excellent advice, Suzie!(no surprise)

Bas knows when and when not to dive that site, as conditions change from day to day. Not easy to determine if one is not familiar with the site. He has called two dives there for bad conditions when I was there. I would not have known any better. It (IMO) should be a guided dive for all but the most experienced, but with a guide like Bas it can be done by most, safely.

Now, Spelunk? No way without Bas!:shakehead

skinfish:
His briefing was the most thorough I have ever seen and he drew it out for us in the sand, which made us more comfortable about doing this dive. It was dead on and everything he said we would see & go through happened. That was part of the exhilaration of this dive, having it execute as perfectly as it was planned. I can't say enough about the diving with Bas, he really enhanced our diving skills and our trip.

Yup, thats the cool part! Everything you need to know is up front and in detail. His briefing desciption matches the dive to a T. Each and every time! Try Tailor Maid with him next time, and ask him about Freds Reef:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom