Bonaire Trip Report 08/03/2010 - 25-03-2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adaveke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Lodging:

We stayed at Bamboo Bali Bonaire. It’s a nice quiet little place with five cabins in a pretty garden.
We arrived at 4 am lt. and the owner had send a taxi which was waiting for us at the airport. When we arrived Anno (the owner) was waiting for us at the gate to Bamboo Bali. He gave us a quick tour of our cabin, a stocked fridge (for breakfast) and a bottle of rose wine where waiting for us inside.
The owners are very friendly people, we felt very welcome and at home.

Food:

The restaurants on the island are all pretty good as far as we can tell.
I’ll make a list of the ones I still remember:
  • Rum Runner's: we ate here a few times, lunch is a lot but a bit greasy for our liking. Dinner is great, especially the "catch and shrimp pil pil".
  • It’s raining fishes: Nice food and friendly staff. We had dinner there once.
  • Bamboo: Oh so good. We had dinner there once and it was awesome. They also have another restaurant of which I can’t remember the name which was also very, very good
  • City Café: Try the seafood pasta!!!! It’s wonderful.
  • Will’s: We had a very good appetizer of smoked marlin but the main dish was a bit of a disappointment. The wahoo was grilled to perfection and the gratin dauphinoise was good, but there was some sort of sweet and sour sauce on the wahoo of which you could definitely taste that it came out of a jar. Bummer since there are so many restaurants that give you fresh stuff.
  • Mona Lisa Bar: very friendly staff and oh so good.
  • Eli Deli: good sandwiches also take out
  • Time to Eat: very nice patio and very good food.

I must be forgetting quite a few, but believe me, the food was great.

Diving:

Bamboo Bali works with Wannadive if you take the package, otherwise you are free to chose some other dive op. We went with Wannadive.
We did all diving by ourselves so there was not that much contact after the introduction, but whenever we encountered somebody they where friendly and helpful. They helped us find seahorses and a frogfish (bloody buggers are difficult to find)

We saw a lot of turtles, a stingray, a few eagle rays, a frog fish, two seahorses, and loads of other cool stuff. It seams to be raining barracuda’s over there (well, with our limited diving experience, it seemed a lot).

The shore diving is quite easy, just park your car at a marked or unmarked site, put on your gear and get in the water. We used the guide “Bonaire Shore Diving Made easy) as a reference on where to enter the water and it really made our lives a lot easier.

In short: can’t wait to go back!!!!

adaveke,
sounds like you went into the future, had a great trip, then came back to the present.
or, this could be a april 01 joke.
or, you could be practicing for the trip you will take.
or, since you are from europe, y'all write the dates different than us in the states.

it took me a while but i figured it out.

i remember you posting on pilot fish's thread about crime on the island.
if you had any problems you would have included it in your tr.
i'm glad that your holiday was a positive experience.

where to next?
regards,

adaveke,
sounds like you went into the future, had a great trip, then came back to the present.
or, this could be a april 01 joke.
or, you could be practicing for the trip you will take.
or, since you are from europe, y'all write the dates different than us in the states.

it took me a while but i figured it out.

i remember you posting on pilot fish's thread about crime on the island.
if you had any problems you would have included it in your tr.
i'm glad that your holiday was a positive experience.

where to next?
regards,

yeah, we write our dates different. It's from 08 March till 25 March.

Indeed, we haven't had any problems with crime. We felt very safe on the island, even walking around town at night.

Our next trip will be in September for a week to Croatia and after that... back to Bonaire!

The only stamp in my passport that is in Month-Day-Year format was re-entry into the USA in 2004 (that's the only time it was ever stamped when returning, I never figured out why just that once - maybe the barcode scanner was out of service at that booth?).

Excellent report, thanks!

PBD must be setting in... Post Bonaire Depression. We'll be there for two weeks in June/July... Can't wait!

The only stamp in my passport that is in Month-Day-Year format was re-entry into the USA in 2004 (that's the only time it was ever stamped when returning, I never figured out why just that once - maybe the barcode scanner was out of service at that booth?).
The 6059B "Customs Declaration" form that we all fill out before re-entering the U.S. requires the date to be written in day/month/year form. Am I the only American who fills these things out correctly?

No you're not the only one Mossman - we do so as well. Minimum 3 of us so far.

Our passports also have dates like DOB, issue date, and expiration date in Day-Month-year format right on the page where our pics and other info including passport number appear. This is likely to minimize confusion outside the USA when we present our passports.

My understanding is the USA and Japan are the two main countires hat use Month-Day-Year as he default convention (I can't speak from first hand experience regarding Japan - we've never traveled to Japan)

Great Bonaire trip report Adaveke!

yeah, we write our dates different. It's from 08 March till 25 March.

Indeed, we haven't had any problems with crime. We felt very safe on the island, even walking around town at night.

Our next trip will be in September for a week to Croatia and after that... back to Bonaire!

Thanks for the report Adaveke. We're looking forward to our first trip to Bonaire next month. Have fun in Croatia. I dscovered snorkeling as a young boy in 1969 while we stayed in Split for a month. I knew then that scuba was in my future. The whole Dalmation coast is really spectacular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom