Bonaire topside stuff in March … current restaurants, after diving spots for a bevera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am really excited – headed back to Bonaire March 13, 2010! We’re staying at the Plaza Resort in one of their Ocean View Rooms. It has been five years since we traveled to Bonaire, so I am looking for some last minute (positive) recommendations and tips on the following:
  • Restaurants not to miss (current)
  • After diving spots for a sunset/beverage
  • Topside stops and must do's … the Donkey thing sounds fun, which we did not do last time
  • Diving the "other side" ... dive op recommendations. Is it worth diving?
  • Safety tips (other than the obvious precautions you would use at home) pertaining to Plaza or other
  • Plaza Resort tips and suggestions
Thank you in advance for your tips and recommendations. I am looking foward to reading your feedback and taking a print out of this thread for reading on the plane. We are taking the Continental, Houston red-eye direct on Friday the 12th at 12:30am - yikes! If you have taken this flight, tips there too are appreciated!

Can't help you with tips on the flight. It's horrible on the way there, even knowing that you're soon going to be landing in dive paradise. Unfortunately, even if you have the ability to immediately fall asleep on an airplane as some people do (I hate them!), you can barely manage 3 hours of shut-eye between takeoff and landing. If you're a young Navy Seal who thinks 3 hours generous compared to Hell Week, no problem. If you're like the rest of us, decrepit with age, faculties lessening by the day (only in the past couple weeks have I finally discovered it's time for reading glasses :depressed:), then I can only recommend you find enough caffeine to sustain you upon landing until you can make it to Plaza for a well-needed nap. Don't sleep too long, though, 'cause that 82-degree clear blue water will be beckoning.

As for restaurants, it's hard to pick and choose among so many excellent choices. Personally, I'd prefer there were only six restaurants on the island, so you wouldn't have to leave any untried. Were I to pick a week's worth, I'd probably do Cactus Blue, Casablanca, Wil's Tropical Grill, one of Kirk's restaurants (Lion's Den or Sunset Grill), Pasa Bon Pizza, and Mona Lisa.

Inventive, eclectic menus and excellent cocktails at Cactus Blue and Wil's and I've never tried anything I didn't like. Mona Lisa has a great nightly prix-fixe menu and undercooks everything (to me, a great stride from the time when it was hard to find fish on the island that wasn't overcooked), along with very polished service. Kirk's restaurants both have large menus with something for every appetite, special "nights" for lobster, Italian, etc., and unbeatable views. Casablanca for excellent Argentine steak, though it's hard to go wrong with Patagonia either. And Pasa Bon? I'm not among those who claim it's the best pizza-on-a-tropical-island (Allo Pizza on Moorea has that honor in my book), but it's good pizza and salad, great for leftovers, and a must-do for every Bonaire trip in my future.

I also liked La Guernica, Bambu, It Rains Fishes, and even the restaurant/pizzeria at Capt. Don's where there are plenty of hungry cats to feed under the table. City Cafe has excellent breakfasts and I had a nice dinner there in the past. And I can't forget Capriccio, where I had the best lasagna bolognese I've ever tasted. I had less stellar meals at Richard's and Bistro - nothing bad, mind you, just less stellar than all the above. And there are still plenty of places to try if only I could ever swing a two-week vacation there. Someday.

Restaurants not to miss (current) - Pizza Bon, Patigonia, Rib Shack (across from the pier downtown)
After diving spots for a sunset/beverage - Pier downtown, Back of Pick up by Red slave

Topside stops and must do's … the Donkey thing sounds fun, which we did not do last time - Go See Donkeys, Lunch at Bar by Wind surfing, Sample of sea salt from office at sea salt op.

Diving the "other side" ... dive op recommendations. Is it worth diving? - Dove with Bas Good Experience! Must maybe maybe not but good time!

Safety tips (other than the obvious precautions you would use at home) pertaining to Plaza or other - Leave truck unlocked windows down don't leave anything you wouldn't donate to someone who needs it more than you do.

Never stayed at Plaza so no specifics. Have a great trip.

I've taken the Red eye. Get a couple hour nap as early in the day as possible. I don't sleep to long (there's diving to get to) and it throws my schedule off. We usually get breakfast at City Cafe as they are open early.

City breakfast, ahhh. Had to look it up, 'cause I don't remember the Dutch: This is a hearty breakfast, and with those fresh island eggs, don't worry if they're undercooked enough to still be clucking!

Uitsmijter (Dutch style fried eggs)
Three slices of bread, white or wheat, and three eggs sunny side up

I've often heard the tip while shore diving to leave nothing in the truck and the windows down. But what about in town after diving, saying stopping for lunch? Is it ok in town parked at a restuarant to leave gear locked inside the truck?

I've often heard the tip while shore diving to leave nothing in the truck and the windows down. But what about in town after diving, saying stopping for lunch? Is it ok in town parked at a restuarant to leave gear locked inside the truck?
Which also raises a point about appropriate attire for lunching in Bonaire - a lot of merchants don't appreciate divers sloshing in wearing their wetsuits, but do you chance leaving a change of clothes in your truck when you dive?

That said, I guess it all depends on location. There are a few restaurants where you could potentially park in view of your table, but those are limited as are the nearby parking spots. There's a very convenient central parking lot in town, but it's as unguarded as any parking spot on the street. Sure, breaking into a locked vehicle seems more unlikely in town versus a remote dive site, but then breaking into locked and guarded accomodations also seems unlikely yet still occurs. Personally, I park in town like I park at a dive site, only rolling up the windows if it's raining.

If you're not staying at a dedicated dive resort where you can park your gear and sit down for lunch (I love the lunch offerings at Buddy and Capt. Don's), grab & go is always an option, leaving buddy in a truck while you run in for sandwiches or other quick fare in a variety of locations. Said sandwiches can also be purchased in advance (or even made in advance since many accomodations have kitchens), and stored in the truck under a couple frozen bottles of ice water. Thieves may be greedy bastards, but hopefully they'll at least respect your lunch!

Karel's pier is a great place for a Polar and sunset. Buddy's pool bar isn't bad either!!

So any more thoughts on East Side diving? What dive ops go there ... is what you see really that different? I am sure it all depends on your luck, but I might want to give it a try. Is it really rough? I remember traveling by car to the east part of the island that was all rocky coral topside - as far as you could see there was rough, grey coral rock with a lighthouse somewhere in the middle.

Karel's pier is a great place for a Polar and sunset. Buddy's pool bar isn't bad either!!

Is that the pier that sort of extends over the water with a bar at the end? I liked that place! Brings back memoires of a cold Polar after a day of diving. As I was a newbie back then, 14 dives for the week seemed like a lot.

Only 18 days to go, which can't get here fast enough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom