Bonaire -- Spare Tire Stolen From Truck at Something Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP has Costco VISA insurance. Reasonably sure that's US law

We're hijacking this thread but I wonder under who's jurisdiction this falls? Interesting. You're probably right. I'm going to ask around...

The policy from your cc would be governed by US law and the dispute is between you and your carrier. At $150 I am wondering what if anything is said in your policy as a deductible. The likelihood that even if covered the deductible applies. Still sucks overall and I feel your pain. Also with the exception of AE, most insurance through credit cards specifically exclude pick ups.

The cc agreement or the insurance policy provided by the cc will spell out where jurisdiction will be for disputes and usually either a forum convenient for them or arbitration required with arbitrators friendly to them or at costs that make a small dispute cost prohibitive. Some states limit these one sided provisions.

Also assuming that they cover rentals in foreign countries...

. Just like in UK.... So..... 10bucks fr a bike lock.... Maybe. K

I've not heard of others having their spare stolen. Wondering if it is a new thing on the island or if it was a one off.

I am not an expert in this area but I am coming to the conclusion that if I want to avoid a potential big hassle and claims I will pay for all the extra coverage from the rental car company that gives complete coverage with them with either no deductible or exposure or one that is limited to a small amount, say $100. When I have read the policy that my credit cards provide it really doesn't sound that useful, at least when I rent pick ups or trucks and plan on going off road. BTW I just read my JetBlue Barclays policy and it excludes not only trucks but anything that occurs off road or unpaved road. That does not provide me much in Bonaire or Curacao. In Iceland we spent as much on full coverage as we did for the rental. Who knew volcanic ash damage and chips in paint from all those stones on the road were not covered.

Even when you use a credit card policy in lieu of the rental car, as I understand it you are settling up first with your own money with the rental car company and then you make a claim with the cc and hope to get reimbursed. No thanks. I would rather pay the extra $ and hand the keys over at the end of the trip. That's what we did in Iceland and in Curacao (they didnt' even bother with the return inspection because of the full coverage). I know it sucks to shell out another $100 for the full coverage but it is better IMHO than having to deal with a claim and cc insurance coverage claim.

I always just take full coverage, nothing in excess of any theft, damage, etc. Gives me piece of mind and no worries.

Foreign countries yes. Home country maybe not.

I’m confused. I’m US based. Are you saying when I use my Visa card to pay for a rental in a foreign country, I’m always covered but not so in the US?

Back
Top Bottom