Bonaire: Single diver looking for dive buddies, Dec.6-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterfaerie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I am a single female diver who will be going to Bonaire for the first time in the next week, Dec.6-13! :D I am an avid diver who loves long bottom times, and a relaxed pace. If possible, I hope to do multiple dives each day (4-5).

Based on this SB forum, Buddy Dive and boat dives seem to be recommended for single divers as a way to meet other divers.

I would love to dive with others that are on the island at that time! Please PM me or respond to this thread.

:bounce3::bounce2::bounce4::bounce:

Thanks, Diversteve! I have registered for BonaireTalk, and I am waiting for them to sign me up.

Buddy's bar should be a good option. Also Habitat's bar next door to the north. I was asked if I needed a buddy there twice while waiting for mine - 2 different days. Maybe Karel's Bar downtown also.

Since Buddy's package includes a 4-dr truck rental - most people will have room for one more if asked. I've heard Dive Friends has a buddy sign up sheet - probably at their main Yellow Sub location on the north end of town.

Your last connecting flight to Bonaire also. Wear something dive-related - we met two different groups in the departure area - one we made plans to dive with. Never could mesh our schedules though - twice they were leaving a site as we arrived.

The thing about Bonaire is there's more resort space than flights to fill it. So almost everyone is or is with a diver at most restaurants, bars etc. I'm not the most sociable person and I probably met 20-30 divers just being there for a week. Oddly enough the only non-dive couple I met was at Habitat's restaurant - wouldn't be my first choice of vacation resorts on the island.

Contact Saritis1122. She was looking for a buddy for that week.

Diversteve, yes I read your many posts on Bonaire with great interest! As a result, I will:

1) try looking wistful and forlorn at the rinse tank,
2) wear my only dive shirt on my connecting flight
3) "troll" the bars, asking anyone/everyone if they need a dive buddy (I sound like a dive slut)

In addition, I have:
4) Signed up for 6 boat dives. I was advised that that would be a good way to find compatible buddies.
5) Posted on BonaireTalk and DiveBuddy.com

I hope I have gleaned enough information from SB for success!

I will be staying at Habitat. Since I'm a single diver, the cost at Buddy's was prohibitive. PLUS, Habitat has a special on right now (7 nights for the price of 5). I'm sorry to hear it isn't your first choice!

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 12:53 AM ----------

Dive Friends has Buddy Boards at 3 of their locations.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Dive Friends Bonaire

Enjoy your trip! We're looking forward to arriving on the 19th and staying through the holidays. :xmas_2: :party:

Thanks Wwguy! I'm very excited for this trip! Sorry to have just missed you!

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 12:58 AM ----------

Contact Saritis1122. She was looking for a buddy for that week.

Thanks for the tip, Lorenzoid! Did I read correctly that you will be in Bonaire at the same time, with a group? :blinking::blinking::blinking::blinking::blinking:

(was that too subtle?)

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 01:03 AM ----------

One more question for you all:

I can't drive manual and to upgrade to automatic is quite expensive (Buddy's quoted an extra $245!!!). Do you think I'll need a vehicle, or do you think I can catch rides with others? I don't want to be annoyingly dependent/desperate! I'm considering taking my rescue diver course while there, so that should take up a few days.

Thanks to all so much for your helpful advice! I have read many of your posts in preparation for this trip. Thank you for your time and expertise!!!

I didn't mean anything negative against Habitat vs. Buddy's just that if I was a non-dive couple vacationing on Bonaire I would not pick either just because the conversations/activities/resort schedule all revolve around diving. I have no idea what non-divers do when all the boats leave each morning there since you can hit all the tourist attractions on Bonaire in one day. And there's no beach at Habitat. At least a little farther down there's a new beach club south of Den Laman now. Habitat's bar should be a good spot to find buddies also - it's on top of the dive operation and looks out towards Klein Bonaire.

Actually we stay in condos so what I know of the dive resorts is having been to most of them to dive. We did like the Pizza Kitchen at Habitat one night.

Head north from Habitat's dock. You can reach the Cliff dive site from there with a moderate swim. If you're really good on air (I'm guessing you are) you can also hit the LaMachaca wreck on the return. It's not big or significant enough to spend a whole dive on.

AB Carrental - and others have a free pickup/delivery service. If it works with your schedule they'll even take you to the airport after you drop the car there. If you plan to do any boat dives - between that and rescue you may not need a truck the full week. Any resort between Eden Beach and Habitat is walkable - some along the water - some along the road for different dining options. Downtown is a little far though from Habitat since it's about the last dive resort going north in that area. https://www.abcarrental.com/

If you meet up with a couple - they likely have room for you. All the trucks are 4-door. There must be some groups staying there also that you can tag along with.

Last edited:
. . .
Thanks for the tip, Lorenzoid! Did I read correctly that you will be in Bonaire at the same time, with a group? :blinking::blinking::blinking::blinking::blinking:

(was that too subtle?) . . .

I am part of a group of 12. We're at Hamlet, and the next dive site down from our "house reef" site, "The Cliff," is "La Machaca," which is the house reef of Captain Don's Habitat. We often do a dive between The Cliff and La Machaca. We are a terribly laid-back and disorganized bunch, and I am reluctant to promise anyone we will be able to meet up with them at any specific time and place. Example: Once most of us are out of bed at whatever time we may awake, and have had our breakfasts, we start asking each other where everyone would like to dive. Eventually there is something resembling a consensus. Eventually we go somewhere. This is the reason I was so reluctant to make promises to Sarit (apologies if you are reading this, Sarit!).

My husband and I will be in Bonaire Dec 5-13, and I have to say Lorenzoid's post made me laugh because we are exactly the same way (and only two of us)! I must admit, I'm a little anxious about diving some of the sites with just the 2 of us. We'll be diving the house reef at Sand Dollar (and vicinity) for the first day or two, I am sure. We love the house reef at Captain Don's, so I'm sure we'll venture that way.

So, if any of you see 40-something couple wearing a Green Bay Packers or Carolina Panthers (I was born in WI, but have lived in NC for a long time - so I'm torn b/w teams) hat, come over and say hi - we'd love to meet others and maybe do some more adventurous dives that we wouldn't do alone. :)

Have fun next week, everyone! We are about to POP we are so excited!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom