Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy -book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the book extremely useful . The directions are better than a map . However , if used after Omar Entries have changed significantly .
I hope an updated version is out before I return.

Entries changed after Omar but as a Bonaire diver since 1999 I have found that even without a hurricane entries and exits change due to nature. What worked one time might not work 6 months later on the next trip. I find BSDME especially helpful for the unmarked sites on the island ... not so much for the entries but for locating them. As you said, much better than a map!

I bought both Shore Diving Made Easy and Lonely Planet Bonaire last year. After reading both, I ended up using Lonely Planet more often. Both were helpful.

I find this site to one of the best! I would say you don't need it with this site and remember you can go two ways on each site and different depths!
Bonaire Dive Guide | diving | bonaire | guide | shore | shorediving | boat | boatdiving | fishes | fish | coral

Since Papa Bear is no longer with us, perhaps someone else can help me with this question. On the PDF version of this link they have a section that has a graphic representation followed by the level of skill necessary on page 6.

Now in the legend they have a red graphic, an orange graphic, and a green graphic that are supposed to correspond with beginner, intermediate, and experienced. It doesn't seem logical for "red" (usually a sign of caution or danger) to be with beginner, and green to mean experienced...so I believe it's simply a mistake. Can someone who is familiar with Bonaire dive sites check it out and let me know what you think?

Thanks!!!

I find the book extremely useful . The directions are better than a map . However , if used after Omar Entries have changed significantly .
I hope an updated version is out before I return.

OK blonde moment here (and I'm not even a blonde). I was reading this whole thread, and kept reading how Omar changed the entries. It wasn't until THIS post that I realized it was a hurricane, b/c of the phrase "after Omar". I thought some guy named Omar was running around and altering the entries (I assumed he was trying to make them easier) :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'm going to blame it on the fact I'm still at work and my brain is fried from all this trip research :)

The sites in Washington Slagbaai park - #'s 1-6 and the sites to the far south - between White Slave and the Lighthouse #'s 54-61 are listed as advanced (Green) dives. Those I'd agree with - most guidebooks will also. We dove Vista Blue in the south one afternoon and the current was laying the sea fans/soft corals over flat on the bottom. So I'd call that advanced...lol.

However some of the sites near the north resorts, Cliff, LaMachaca, Bari Reef, etc. were among the easiest with divedocks for access and short swims out. Witches Hut was also. The only difficult thing about Rappel is that you do it from a boat so you don't have to rappel down the cliff.

I wonder if they're trying to indicate that each site has both an easy and more advanced component - but you could make that claim about any site on Bonaire if you go far/deep enough out. Except in some areas where you hit the sand at 130' and it gets boring after that.

A lot of the sites they've marked as advanced south of town from Windsock to Invisibles, really aren't either. A little more difficult entry over the ironshore but the dives are easy and fairly shallow - out to the 2nd reef. The Hooker might be due to it's depth - it's at about 90'. The water is so clear though that you see the wreck from the surface - I've even picked it out on Google Earth.

Odd thing is that Town Pier is marked advanced. It's a pier in town that maxes out at 30'. In a calm protected area. The only thing advanced about it is you only dive it at night. Great dive - there's masses of fire cup corals open.

Here's a much more accurate map of what is/not considered advanced. Info Bonaire - Map of All Bonaire Dive Sites

I have been to Bonaire four times and yes I find the book more than usefull . As I stated earlier Omar has definately changed things but it is still quite accurate .
I abide by Bonaire rules by leaving nothing of value , nothing I want to keep , windows down , glove box open , the only thing I had taken was a copy of Shore Diving Made Easy , I let my guard down ! feel free to run with it PF

feel free to run with it PF

Careful, we don't want him to come back.
Tranquil this week with him gone.

Anyhow, shore diving Bonaire, with or without that guidebook, is an adventure.
Sites can be advanced or easy for various reasons, usually current (variable) and difficulty of entry.
A few northern sites (Jeff Davis?) can be difficult to exit, or at least to FIND the exit.

DivingPrincess - after many trips to Bonaire using the same maps and references I finally read the legend on the charts and surprise - GREEN is difficult. (And I'm not blond either) I always assumed green=easy, red= danger. Until sitting there a few weeks ago with a cold one in hand, I remarked to my buddy - did you realize the GREEN sites are more difficult? So it is correct, despite appearing counterintuitive. As others said, depending on conditions such as wind speed and wind direction access can vary greatly. We had a week w/ winds in excess of 25 knots that made my fav northern sites a bit rough w/ a stiff current (Ol Blue, Karpata, Thousand Steps) but southern sites (Alice, Invisibles, HH) quite negotiable.

I've not bought BSDME and have had no problems. If you decide you need it you can always pick up a copy at Chat n Browse or other shops on island. For those staying or visiting Buddy Dive, the dive shop has a very useful reference binder on dive sites. When you walk through the door, immediately stop and turn left. There is a white 2 inch binder with sites, directions, overhead pictures with notations on parking, entry points and ground level views to left and right. Great tool and other then my buddy and myself, I've never seen anyone pick it up.

...and what happened to Papa Bear?

Why is Papa Bear no longer with us???

If you see the "NA" under his name, it usually means that person is banned (unless you are idocsteve). I remember hearing about him getting banned, but don't recall the details.

DivingPrincess - after many trips to Bonaire using the same maps and references I finally read the legend on the charts and surprise - GREEN is difficult. (And I'm not blond either) I always assumed green=easy, red= danger. Until sitting there a few weeks ago with a cold one in hand, I remarked to my buddy - did you realize the GREEN sites are more difficult? So it is correct, despite appearing counterintuitive. As others said, depending on conditions such as wind speed and wind direction access can vary greatly. We had a week w/ winds in excess of 25 knots that made my fav northern sites a bit rough w/ a stiff current (Ol Blue, Karpata, Thousand Steps) but southern sites (Alice, Invisibles, HH) quite negotiable.

I've not bought BSDME and have had no problems. If you decide you need it you can always pick up a copy at Chat n Browse or other shops on island. For those staying or visiting Buddy Dive, the dive shop has a very useful reference binder on dive sites. When you walk through the door, immediately stop and turn left. There is a white 2 inch binder with sites, directions, overhead pictures with notations on parking, entry points and ground level views to left and right. Great tool and other then my buddy and myself, I've never seen anyone pick it up.

...and what happened to Papa Bear?

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one who thought it was odd that green was hard, and red meant easy :idk:

Hey RJP,
I'm heading to Bonaire in 3 weeks. If the offer still stands I'd like to borrow it. I do promise to return the book when I return. Any advice you have for first timers?

Cheers,
Chris

---------- Post added August 18th, 2013 at 01:11 PM ----------

Hi RJP,

If the offer still stands I"d love to borrow the book. I promise to return after the trip. The first time to Bonaire for me and my brother!! Any tips or advice? My address is 308 G St. San Diego, CA 92101.

I would greatly appreciate it!
Cheers,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom