Bonaire - rent here, there, or buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my lunch break today, i stopped by a LDS that i've never been to (near my work!). looks like i'll be buying from them (this will be the 3rd LDS i've given business to). they will actually give me a decent price if i get everything (wetsuit, computer, reg). the other two LDS i paid MSRP for everything. since its for me and my wife, every dollar saved/spent is doubled. so now its a question of Oceanic Delta 4 or Mares Abyss regulators. Thats what he had. they should be good enough right?

btw. i emailed Captain Don's to see what they rent. so i decided to buy a reg and not rent. but i'll rent the BC.

my diving will be in the tropics. and if i get good enough to do cold dives, i'll get all new gear then.

back to researching wetsuits and regs... thanks everyone.

SpiderSense:
so now its a question of Oceanic Delta 4 or Mares Abyss regulators. Thats what he had. they should be good enough right?
Based on what I've (quickly) read, I'd buy the Delta IV. Be sure it's a new one with DVT. One of my buddies has Oceanic gear and he's never had any trouble with it.

Scubadiving called it the best breather under $500 last year:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/

One thing they mentioned about the Abyss is that the first stage is metal so it's heavier. Also I like the fact that Oceanic gives you a swivel, once you've used one you'll never go back to a 2nd stage w/o one - it just totally minimizes jaw fatigue.

There are some comments in the Oceanic section here on SB also.

Spider,

I would also look at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn while you are here on Bonaire. Before moving here my husband worked part time as an instructor for an LDS and the only reason we bought from them was the great prices we got. Once he left the LDS, we bought all our stuff here on Bonaire from Bruce. He provides EXCELLENT prices, better than what we have found in the states most of the time, don't know how he does it! While on island, if you have any problems he is the person to go to, on the spot repairs for minor things (he charged someone $5.00 to repair a regulator, including parts!), and he did a repair on a BC and lent our guest until his normal BC was finished (1 day). Check him out while you are here! (FYI, we are not affiliated with Carib Inn at all, we just think his service and prices are great!)

Liz

oh man. the more i read and learn, the more i wanted to buy equipment versus renting. i'm a couple weeks from the Bonaire trip and i've BOUGHT everything i can buy. i hope to be able to hit the local quarry with my instructor this weekend to try out the equipment.

i bought everything from several LDS except the backplate/wings.

-VT3 computers with wireless air (i also have analog SPG, depth, compass console).
-DSS torus 26 wing/ss backplate/hog harness
-Bare wetsuits
-Atomic B2 regs
-Oceanic 8 octos
-Seacure mouthpieces
-fins/mask/snorkel
-save-a-dive kits

had to buy two of everything for me and my buddy (wife). it started with 'i want a dive computer because i'm a geek and want to log my dives in the pc'.. and 'i don't want to trust rental regulators' then the wetsuits were a must, and then it was 'might as well get the bp/wings and learn with them from the start'.

maybe in a couple years, we'll be good enough to do a Galapagos Island trip (then its underwater photo/video gear too).

Bonaire better be worth it. :)

Let us know how the trip went SpiderSense. Did you get the extra weight attachments for the DSS? How did your weighting go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom