Bonaire Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
This should link to our photo album from our GREAT Bonaire trip.

You should be able to see the pics without giving up an email address - if it does not work please let me know.

Canon S45 - Canon housing - Internal flash (where needed)

Nice shots, you've got to love Bonaire. One thing I did noticed there were a few shots that really needed a flash. You really should force it on underwater. IMHO.

Great photos, Graham! You're putting Bonaire further up our list!

Question....At Buddy's Pier, I see a ladder..I think you're actually on it underwater. Is that the way you have to get in the water for that dive? My knees wouldn't like that. :(

Thanks for the note.

Are you talking about the ladder I am fooling about on underwater? That is below the salt pier along with a LOT of other junk (as well as the most fish I have ever seen in one place). Buddy's has easy steps into the water although they could do with a scrape as they are pretty slippery. You can see them in the bottom right corner of picture 5.

The diving there was the easiest we have ever done - loved it.

Doc,
The sharks were at Weber's Joy (also known as Witch's Hut), not far from 1,000 steps. We liked it better (apart from the lack of steps). They were there for a number of days in about 15 - 20 ft of water. Once word got out it started to get a little busy there....

Interestingly I tried the passive approach - just get in the general area and wait for them to swim past and they never came near me so I decided to swim in their general direction and they immediately got more interested, making a couple of close passes that allowed me to take the pictures.

Cecil,
Thanks for the comments. I have probably over-darkened a few of them in Photoshop but I generally find that avoiding the flash for anything other than a macro is the way to go. It is much easier to sort out color saturation and brightness than paint out a couple of million specs of backscatter. I also like the surface-lit effect it has in some cases.

In a number of cases I took shots with and without the flash and inevitably ended up tossing the flash images. Obviously I have used it for all the night shots and the deeper stuff. I guess I will keep experimenting.

Monitor variation is a pain. what looks great on one machine can look washed out or too dark on another.

Great pics !! :) Really loved the squid or was it a cuttlefish ?

Bonaire is certainly on my list of places to go....the sheer variety of fish and other creatures is amazing. An underwater photographers paradise.

Simon

Nice photos, but I agree that more strobe would give better color. If you are having trouble with backscatter, you may have the strobe aimed inward too much.

I keep my strobe almost parallel with the camera lens, just tweaked very slightly inward for most everything except for the closest of macro shots. I think about hitting the subject with the edge of the light. Maybe I'm too used to using dual strobes.

IMHO, I would work with strobe aim instead of doing without.

Karl

I tend to agree but I only have the internal flash. in the Canon housing

WP-DC300.jpg

It seems to be doing remarkably well for my needs (vacation snaps) apart from a dark corner in the lower right caused by the housing. I am not sure I want to lug a strobe rig around.

Apart from that I am currently wrestling with spending $1500 on a couple of canister lights so I think I am 'budget constrained for a while....

Those HID lights are SO bright I may not need a flash at all - pictures of poached sea-life anyone? :)

Some day perhaps....

Grajan once bubbled...
I am not sure I want to lug a strobe rig around.
Oh yes you do ..... the result is well worth it !!!=-)
Grajan once bubbled...
Apart from that I am currently wrestling with spending $1500 on a couple of canister lights so I think I am 'budget constrained for a while....

Those HID lights are SO bright I may not need a flash at all - pictures of poached sea-life anyone? :)

Some day perhaps....
And you're worried about "lugging" a strobe around :wacko: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom