Bonaire or Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to take a dive trip towards the end of September, and somewhat have it narrowed down to Bonaire or Curacao since they are safer bets with it still being hurricane season. I've heard great things about Bonaire, but I will be solo, which means I would likely be limited to boat diving and would skip the shore dive sites. So, I'm wondering if Curacao would be a better way to go this time around.

I'm big into photography, so a good mix of macro life would be ideal, along with good vis and lower current. What are some of the key differences between the two destinations?

Thanks in advance!

the difference between Curacao and Bonaire:

population 2009
Curacao = 141,000 approx.
Bonaire = 12,000 approx.
the atmosphere, for that reason, is very different. Curacao has cities, Bonaire has a few small villages.

and yes, Bonaire is the Shore Diving Capital of the world, so the primary reason to go there is to shore dive, no scuba police, just grab a tank and walk into the water, do your own thing, come out when you are done. You can do boat dives there, especially over to Klein Bonaire, but the main draw is the shore diving. YOu can find a buddy once you are there, many dive shops and resorts have a sign up board for people looking for a buddy.

watch my videos of diving Bonaire here: http://www.vimeo.com/album/18778

robin:D

Last edited:
I will be solo, which means I would likely be limited to boat diving and would skip the shore dive sites.

Thanks in advance!

Get solo certified?

Then you can go to Curacao and stay at All West Apartments like me and my girlfriend did 2 weeks ago and have unlimited 24 hour access to tanks. Even though Solo Diving isn't recognized by the Dive Op we went out with , no one's going to bother you when you get your tanks at All West 'cause no one is checking you in or out, you've got the key.

Or dive with Ocean Encounters West and they'll hook you up with a buddy during their divemaster guided dives which average an hour.

My recent trip to Curacao including vendor reviews and photos is

HERE

If you want to dive, Bonaire hands down.

Dive safe,

Celia

Right. Take this posters advice and completely dismiss a beautiful island with perhaps the best diving I have ever done in my entire life, not because they say they've been to both several times and dived most of the sites, and Bonaire is better than Curacao because of a list of provided reasons...just because "they said so".

I dunno, I'd think twice before going with that suggestion.

LMAO at Steve. I'm sure for every person that prefers Bonaire, there is one that prefers Caracao (or somewhere else for that matter). Different strokes for different folks. I'm looking for a little info on the differences between the two so that I can figure out which is most likely what I'm looking for. I suppose buddying up with someone there to do the shore diving is an option, so I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks for that info. I'm mostly curious about the diving... Not so much concerned with whether it's a town or a village above ground, but what it's like below sea level.

I'm mostly curious about the diving... Not so much concerned with whether it's a town or a village above ground, but what it's like below sea level.
I haven't been to Bonaire but I looked into this a while back. The impression I got was that the main differences are above water and the actual diving is pretty similar.

I've been to both (Bonaire 05', Curacao 07'). In some areas the diving is very similar - same fish, corals, fans etc. At a couple of Curacao sites I told my friends: "this is just what it would be like on Bonaire" We probably saw more critters on Curacao, seahorses, several different kinds of lobster/crabs, a couple octo's and more squid than on Bonaire. Probably saw more turtles on Bonaire. Never saw a shark at either location. We stayed out in Lagun (Curacao) a couple of days - twice in the morning a pod of dolphins cruised right by our place.

Other areas are different - there's nothing similar to the Mushroom Forest area on Bonaire. Or the Carpile wrecks. Overall there was more trash in the water in Curacao.

Although everybody says Bonaire is all about shorediving, I know several people who only boat dive there. Trips are made to the 20+ Klein Bonaire dive sites and the more difficult to access shore sites - like Rappel. Small Wall and 2 other sites are only accessible legally via boat as they're off private property. I've even heard of people doing boat dives on the Hooker, that might be a better option as a DM told me he likes to dive the 2nd reef past the Hooker and then drift back onto the wreck.

We did 4 mornings of 2-tank boat dives and shore dove every afternoon. It was just about right IMO - a good mix of dive sites. A lot of the Bonaire shore sites start to blur later in the week, they're very similar in appearance/fish life as they're on the same reef.

At several of the resorts, I would've had no problem finding a buddy, I was asked two or three times while waiting for my buddy at Habitat and Bonaire Dive/Adventure. On the final leg of our AA Bonaire flight, I think just about everybody was a diver.

On Curacao you'd also have options as a single diver. Ocean Encounters is probably the largest operation on Curacao, they have a main location at Lions Dive/Sea Aquarium and 3-4 satellite facilities at Breezes, the Hilton and a couple other resorts nearby. Our only boat dive with them was the Dolphin Dive, only about 8 of us that morning.

They also have a facility in Westpunt (OEWest). So you can access most of the better mid-island dives from town and the Mushroom Forest and Watamula from OEWest. It's about a 45min. drive out to Westpunt from Willemsted. Longer than it looks on the map. Neither OE or OEWest allow solo diving.

Watamula is supposedly the best boat dive off Curacao. Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland is IMO the best shoredive - it's off OEWest's dock. We only did one boat dive on Curacao - Lost Anchor - it's not a site that's easily shore accessible as it's fronted by a cliff. It was a good drift dive, look for seahorses if you go there.

Another option you'd have is to shoredive with the Dive Bus - they pick you up and dive all over the island. There's nothing like that on Bonaire.

I'm not a photographer - I shoot video. If I had to pick one location over the other for macro, I might give the edge to Bonaire. Salt Pier is a photographers dream, amazing lighting and growth on many of the pier structures.

Last edited:
What were your thoughts on Curaçao?

Been to both. Love 'em both. Diving is the same, as would be expected for two islands a stone's throw from each other.

As my wife puts it...

- Bonaire is where divers go to vacation
- Curacao is where vacationers go to dive

If I was traveling solo I'd choose Bonaire, mostly because virtually everyone else is there diving, so you can plop down next to anyone, anywhere, anytime and simply say "how was your diving today..." and instantly have some compatriots for the next few hours.

Do the same thing in Curacao... and it's hit or miss. You're more likely to get odd looks as the people either ignore you or get up and walk away.

Back
Top Bottom