Bonaire night dive light suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frank_delargy:
Looks like We'll be down there at the same time you are. 3/1 - 3/8.
You may recognize us as the two divers with the flashing red tank lights:furious:
I guess they are annoying ? I didnt know it was flashing until they were delivered.

Flashing red markers are not annoying.

This is a strobe. strobe.jpg

However they do work well when tied off to a mooring line to mark an exit.

CompuDude:
Youch! 21w cans are great for SoCal or the Northeast, and other cold water dive locations with iffy vis, but I think you'd be pushing things with even a 10w can in warm clear water like Bonaire.

I'd go for any full size decent LED-based light. Some like really little lights, other prefer a bigger light. I like a bigger light. But in really nice water conditions, something that barely cuts the mustard at home is like a nuclear bomb. I'm going to Jamaica in about a week, and trying to decide whether to bring my UK Light Canon or pick up a smaller light. (My Mini Q40 eLED is a hair too small for my tastes, but something in between would do nicely)

Your 3C backup will probably be fine.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought! Will just bring my Q40 eLED and 3C (my two backups).

miesemer:
Flashing red markers are not annoying.

This is a strobe. View attachment 35919

However they do work well when tied off to a mooring line to mark an exit.

hmmm.. We have strobes like that in addition to the tank lights. 2 different things. I carry the strobe for deploying as an emergency beacon. Never thought of using it as navigation aid.
Now I need to know why previous poster said not to get blinking red tank light.:huh:

Rainer:
Anyone using can lights for night dives in Bonaire? Thoughts? I'll be doing the day dives with my 21W, but wonder if I'd be better off just using one of my 3C backups for the night dives.

Having just been in the same situation in BVI, that is what I did. The problem with my can light was that it attracted soooo much stuff (little fish swarming) that I could hardly see 5-6 feet. Swtiching to one of the backups still provided plenty of light on the night dives and I could actually see more. I still dove with the can light though, and it was great for wrecks and swim-throughs.

Last time in Bonaire a friend lent us a light Canon. Geez, I hated it! The light was so white it washed out all the color. I much prefered my little SL4. Also like someone else posted, half the time you can turn your light off.

As far as marker lights, I can't imagine seeing one if you couldn't also see the light from their primary (unless it's off). Less is best. Just avoid a night boat dive unless it's with a group you know. Otherwise it just tends to be a night demolition derby.

Dennis

BuoyantC:
As far as marker lights, I can't imagine seeing one if you couldn't also see the light from their primary (unless it's off). Less is best.
If I understand the previous post correctly, the author is saying that a marker light isn't required, because the primary is always visible. The marker (tank) light serves a couple valuable purposes when night diving. In the event that you lose your primary light (bulb burns out, flooded light, dropped light, etc.), it allows other divers to see you, and it allows the boat to see you when you surface. Also, it allows you and your buddy to quickly find each other in a crowd.

One poster mentioned that they don't like flashing lights. I suppose these could be distracting, but I hardly notice the flashing except for when I'm looking around for my buddy, and then I appreciate the ease of locating him/her.

BuoyantC:
Just avoid a night boat dive unless it's with a group you know. Otherwise it just tends to be a night demolition derby.
Dennis
I've done night diving off a large boat with ~30 people in the water, and had a great time. I actually think it's kind of cool to look around and see all the searching light beams. The only issue I had was picking my buddy out of the crowd, which is the reason why I like tank lights that flash or have a unique color.

Re flashing location beacons:

There are two kinds. There are small, fairly low-key marker lights (some flashing, some not) and there are the Xenon strobes (the one pictured was a strobe).

The low-key, relatively dim marker lights are not terribly annoying when they flash, because they simply aren't that bright. Some good options, from Scuba.com:

LED Light Stick:
026621_1.gif

UK Dive Beacon:
UKDiveBeacon.jpg

Princeton Tec Eco Flare:
026023.jpg

Glo-Toob:
026065.jpg

The full on strobes pictured in post 21 above, however, are INCREDIBLY annoying when used as a marker light rather than the emergency beacon they were designed to be.

CompuDude:
Re flashing location beacons:

There are two kinds. There are small, fairly low-key marker lights (some flashing, some not) and there are the Xenon strobes (the one pictured was a strobe).

The full on strobes pictured in post 21 above, however, are INCREDIBLY annoying when used as a marker light rather than the emergency beacon they were designed to be.

Thanks, 100% agreement.
That's why I got 2 of each for the buddy/wife & I.
I've never had so many different lights in my life!
So on night dive from boat, buddy & I carry primary, backup, tank marker light & emergency Xenon strobes.
Not to mention the light-up computer. What did Mike Nelson do??

buy UK underwater kenetics brand dive lights:D

I seen one competitor brand flood twice on two different occasions. One was a brand new light used only once when it got flooded.

Yes, flashing (preferebly white) strobe is great for navigation. However, someone in your group will have a strobe for that. Save the money for now. They will place the strobe on the mooring line tied to teh concrete block that anchors the buoy marker and line to the shore dock. The block is in 19 ft of water and is at the top of the wall.

Ask about hoe to avoid the sea wasps on teh night dives. They will get you if you do not take proper precaustions with your use of the dive light and your octo:D

Have fun!!!

Oh I am embarrassed. I thought this was Bonaire Night Dive suggestions and it is in reality Bonaire Night Dive Light Suggestions.

My favorite night diving light in Bonaire is definitely - without reservation - without any other stipulations - is moonlight.

Back
Top Bottom