Bonaire Night Dive - Advice/Suggestions for First Timers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will Buddy's let you dive if you aren't staying there though? The plus of Bari Reef is public access, even if you're not with DFB and have no key to the pier. And you can swim over to Buddy's if you want, we did on at least one night dive (when you see parked boats, you're at Buddy's).

Yes. Anyone can dive from Buddy’s.

Yes. Anyone can dive from Buddy’s.
But not from the pier. At least, last time we were there in Dec'14, the pier had a lock and the outsiders had to dive from the beach.

But not from the pier. At least, last time we were there in Dec'14, the pier had a lock and the outsiders had to dive from the beach.

Whoa. That’s news to me. We have always included a dive from Buddy’s dock in our trips whether we stayed at Buddy’s or not. But I don’t recall the date of our last dive there—it could have been pre-2014. Also, I seem to recall one of the guide books saying that most properties were happy to let outsiders dive there provided the diver asks permission and in some instances pays a fee, but we have never bothered to ask permission. Here, from Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (2007): “Buddy Dive has an open dock policy but you should let them know you would like to use their facility. It’s okay to drive down to the restaurant, drop off your gear and then park your truck back in the lot.”

I was at Buddy’s two years ago and there was no gate and no lock, just as it’s been every other time I’ve visited

I was in Bonaire the month of August and I can't speak to Buddy's access for outsiders, but I did dive at Captain Don's. The first time there, I did speak with someone and asked about access and they said, "No problem-- go right ahead" -- I then returned another 4 times during the month. I just geared up at my truck and walked down to the pier and jumped in. Super easy. If you head north on the reef, you can quite easily make it to the wall at Cliff and enjoy it and then turn back.

As long as we are discussing access from piers, the pier at Den Laman condominiums, which leads out to Bari Reef is technically only to be used by guests staying at Den Laman or guests staying at San Dollar. The pier is managed by Dive Friends and even if you are a Dive Friends customer, you are not supposed to use the pier for entry and exit if you are not a residing guest of one of the 2 establishments.

trailboss is correct. The pier at Denlamen has a locked gate - uses a 4 digit access code. They told us you had to stay there to use it (we were staying at Den Lamen). They were even kinda cranky about if you are at Den Lamen, don't use the Sand Dollar beach.

There isn't a gate at Buddy's or Captain Don's.

If you want to dive Bari - you can get in to the left (facing the ocean) of Den Lamen, I saw a bunch of folks doing that last time I was there. I cant comment on the entrance, just the fact I saw a lof folks do it and no dumps.

I vaguely remember there being a sign that said something about 5 dollars to dive Captain Don's for non-staying guests - could have been an old relic from the past.. It was on bar gazebo. One point, the dive shop closes early at Captain Don's (5?), a couple associates will be having a beer for a while but I really don't know how you would pay anyone or ask anyone if you came by at sunset.

All that said, I highly recommend doing captain don's or buddy's for your first night dive. It wont be the most amazing sights there, but it is very easy entrance off the docks and easy navigation by following the line back to the docks - they go down at least 60' last time I was there.

I got my wife and daughter comfortable doing night dives there. Once you are comfortable, I would do Bari, we saw a bunch of neat stuff there.

Remember to save some air to hang around the shallows and look, a lot of really cool stuff comes out.

Also, I dive normally with just a natural wetsuit, for night dive, I always put on a full rashguard, just in case.

Whoa. That’s news to me. We have always included a dive from Buddy’s dock in our trips whether we stayed at Buddy’s or not. But I don’t recall the date of our last dive there—it could have been pre-2014. Also, I seem to recall one of the guide books saying that most properties were happy to let outsiders dive there provided the diver asks permission and in some instances pays a fee, but we have never bothered to ask permission. Here, from Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (2007): “Buddy Dive has an open dock policy but you should let them know you would like to use their facility. It’s okay to drive down to the restaurant, drop off your gear and then park your truck back in the lot.”
Sorry, I meant the Den Laman pier.

All that said, I highly recommend doing captain don's or buddy's for your first night dive. It wont be the most amazing sights there, but it is very easy entrance off the docks and easy navigation by following the line back to the docks - they go down at least 60' last time I was there.

I got my wife and daughter comfortable doing night dives there. Once you are comfortable, I would do Bari, we saw a bunch of neat stuff there.

Remember to save some air to hang around the shallows and look, a lot of really cool stuff comes out.

This right here is what I think we will most likely do, after diving both at least once during the day as others have suggested. As I was reading some of these over breakfast, my wife said, "I don't even care so much if we see any cool stuff on the first one, I just want to see what it's like under water in the dark and go from there." So, I think a plan along the lines of what you described is going to work best. Thank you!

Agree. Buddy's couldn't be easier, as there is a first-class dock with steps, a protected area to get your bearings, and always many other night divers in the water--it's a very popular night dive site. With experience, one will prefer less crowded sites, especially on night dives, but maybe for one's first night dive seeing other divers pass you in the other direction could be reassuring?

Yeah, based on what I'm reading, I think we'll likely do Buddy's for the very first one then do Bari for the second and move on from there. I'd like to get both under our belt before we do our guided ostracod dive. As you all know, "experience is the teacher of all things".....was that Caesar that said that?? I appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom