Trip Report Bonaire March 2024–Dead reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the point the OP is missing is that SCTLD does not affect all corals, not even all hard corals, and that many of the ones affected are not prevalent in Bonaire, and that Bonaire has many hard corals that are not affected by SCTLD. Bleaching is traditionally something that the hard corals can mostly recover from. It appears he has conflated bleaching with SCTLD, and misunderstood that the STINAPA maps with color coding do NOT apply to bleaching, only to SCTLD. Calling the Bonaire reefs "dead" is either a lie or a gross misunderstanding.
All of the sites are orange or red but for the two I mentioned. Wonder why you are so Invested in stating that the reefs are not dead. Photos to follow.

On the map, the Southern sites are also marked red and orange. The only two green sites, Wilemstoren Lighthouse and White Hole are way South and can only be attempted if the conditions are perfect because of big waves and strong currents. Sweet Dreams is marked orange—not going to drive there (at this point) because I suspect it will look the same. I will ask around.

Are you here? You can’t possibly be here if you think the reefs are fine. Nope. Not hyperbole. Wish it was. I feel like some people deny it so that the tourists keep coming. Karpata was better than the others, thus far. 50% dead compared to 75% dead.
No one is denying that the Caribbean reef ecosystems are struggling. But when you come in hot with a statement that Bonaire reefs are "dead" - your word - it is indeed hyperbole. Where do you get your 75% dead coral figure from?

PS: White Hole is on the east side and is easily accessible. Book a trip with East Coast Diving and they'll take you there.

Define orange and red.

Define orange and red.
It’s the color coding STINAPA uses for dive sites and SCTLD. Orange means caution is advised and red means SCTLD has been found at the site and is actively spreading.

Fat lot of good all that gear rinsing did. Futile and preposterous folly.
Perhaps. But we don’t know for sure because it wasn’t studied as part of an experiment. There was no control group, we don’t know how rigorous people were in adhering to the protocols, etc. It’s entirely possible that the situation would have been worse, or gotten worse faster, if not for the protocols. I’m not saying that this was the case, just that we can’t know one way or the other for certain.

Fat lot of good all that gear rinsing did. Futile and preposterous
I tend to agree. I've been to Bonaire three times during SCTLD. The rinse tanks with the stinky chemicals were on the dock for boat dives, but there was zero enforcement. I saw maybe half the divers rinse their gear. And I seriously doubt many shore divers rinse their gear properly (meaning in disinfectant), if at all.

Just finished my second day. So far the reefs are still as fishy but there is no denying the damage done by disease and warming seas. For the sites we have dove thus far, the shallows look pretty good as you would expect since they are less about the hard coral and more gordonians, fans and such. But as you go over the edge the loss is notable. The stoney corals on these sites have been hit heavily. Very few corals that don’t show any signs of disease if not outright gone with algae growth already obvious. Today I did not see a single living flower coral and other health appearing hard corals were rare.

We plan to get an early start tomorrow and head further south.

As for any enforcement for rinsing? No, it hasn’t even been mentioned by any dive staff. I think everyone knows Bonaire is well past that having any impact if indeed they had any real hope even at the beginning.

Sad to say…the reefs of Bonaire are dead. Currently in Bonaire—last here 5 years ago. The change is dramatic, in a bad and sad way. We dove Klein Bonaire, Salt Pier, and a house reef. All in terrible condition. Dead reef everywhere. If I had know this in Nov 2023 when I prepared my trip, I would have canceled. I think the Caribbean is doomed due to SCTLD and climate change. Only two green dive sites at the Southern tip. All others are orange and red. Cozumel and the East end of Cayman are better than Bonaire.

Trying Karpata, 1,000 Steps, and more boat dives off of Klein Bonaire tomorrow. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but not counting on it.

My recommendation: cancel if you have plans to dive Bonaire (and can still cancel). Sad situation. Don’t believe it if you hear that the reefs are nice. Ask for photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3868.jpeg
    IMG_3868.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 97
Just finished my second day. So far the reefs are still as fishy but there is no denying the damage done by disease and warming seas. For the sites we have dove thus far, the shallows look pretty good as you would expect since they are less about the hard coral and more gordonians, fans and such. But as you go over the edge the loss is notable. The stoney corals on these sites have been hit heavily. Very few corals that don’t show any signs of disease if not outright gone with algae growth already obvious. Today I did not see a single living flower coral and other health appearing hard corals were rare.

We plan to get an early start tomorrow and head further south.

As for any enforcement for rinsing? No, it hasn’t even been mentioned by any dive staff. I think everyone knows Bonaire is well past that having any impact if indeed they had any real hope even at the beginning.
Sad. I think the causes are many but for sure the stony coral tissue loss disease has sped the die off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom