Bonaire-Just as good as I remembered!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We arrived yesterday and got 2 dives in the first day, four today. We've done our home reef, Bari 3x, and headed south to Tori's, Salt Pier, and Aquarius. We wanted to go to Vista Blue and Margate Bay, but the wave action sent us quickly back around the corner. On our dive at Salt Pier, we were checked by the Marine Park folks, who although wouldn't give us "permission" to dive Salt Pier, confirmed what we've heard: If there's no boat docked, and you don't park on Cargill's property (stay outside of the blue "arches"), nobody cares if you dive the pier.

We saw some HUGE Parrotfish in the pilings (Midnight Blue and Rainbow), as well as a couple of good sized Tarpon and a couple of big Baracudas. Of course this is in addition to the thousands of Brown Chromis and other fish populating the reef. We thought Aquarius looked healthier than our last visit in 2008, and visibility was about 60-80' on all dives.

Looking forward to the next 2 weeks!

Lucky you! Keep us poor working folks posted on the trip and diving. If you are eating/cooking in be sure to check out the new Ven den Tweels and their 2nd store a Costco version, across the street. It sits off Kaya Industria Paribo.

Darn, looks like we will be crossing paths in the airports again. Headed down with gypsyjim and company on the 20th. My impression of the reef is it's starting to return from the hurricane damage of the last 10 or so years. There is starting to be more areas of elk horn and stag horn coral. Don't know if you saw Bonaire before the 1999 hurricane but down near Margate Bay and Atlantas there were wide fields of it as well as at Andrea. Almost all of which were flattened by hurricane Lenny.
Let us know if you find any sea horses or frog fish.

Funny that you mention Frog Fish....we were treated to one today on Bari Reef! I have noticed a lot more elk horn and stag horn coral since our last visit in 2010. The reefs are definitely showing a lot of recovery just from Omar, and I can't wait to get down to the far southern sites.

My husband spent 1/2 day with Tim at Fish Eye Photo as a refresher and as a quick way to use his new camera most efficiently, and he felt as if it was time well spent. We recommend Tim highly as a photo instructor as he's not only an excellent photographer and university trained, but even more important, he's an excellent teacher.

After nearly being nailed in the head by a kite boarder in 2010, and hearing that they are now venturing into the shallow water even more than before, we brought a small marker that we can inflate before surfacing. We'll only use it in the kite boarding areas, but I'll definitely post whether or not we decided it was a good idea or a waste.

I think they've been actually planting the elk horn and stag horn coral on Bari's reef. I can't wait to go back and see it.
if the waves die down, be sure to check out Red and White Slave. red Slave is our favorite day time dive, when conditions permit. Pil Slick is by far my favorite night dive. Make sure you put a chem lite on the stairs and another on your vehicle or it can be a bit tricky navigating back.

Between 2 Buns is a small deli open for breakfast or lunch in that little shopping center near you guys. Had lunch there last trip and it was excellent.

Keep posting. It helps control my withdrawal symptoms until my next Bonaire fix.

loved Bari reef when we were there

I think in the future we will deploy a small smb before surfacing down there... Had a boarder zoom right by as we exited Margate Bay. We stopped at Kite beach for a beverage a few afternoons. I really like the vibe down there! This past trip (May) we did Vista Blue for the first time, WOW! A sandy beach entry! It was calm when we dove it, but I would think it do-able with a little chop as well. And the turtles!!!!
vistablue-turtle.jpg

Back
Top Bottom