Bonaire, Is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Bonaire three times ... 2004, 2005, and 2006. It's the only Caribbean destination I can say that about. That should give you some idea how much I like the place.

The first and third times we stayed at Captain Don's Habitat. The second time was a ScubaBoard trip and we stayed at the Plaza Resort.

If I were to go back again, I'd probably want to try someplace else ... but if I had to choose between those two again, I'd take the Plaza Resort. It's within easy walking distance to town, and the accommodations are nicer. It has a sand beach (I believe, the only one on the island), and an awesome double-reef system right in front of the resort. The only down side to the Plaza is that the house reef is on one side of the resort and the boat dock is on the other ... you'll be constantly lugging your gear back and forth from one to the other.

Between our first trip in 2004 and our return in 2006, Captain Don's went downhill dramatically. The customer service, both at the resort and on the boats left a lot to be desired. Frankly, I would not give them a recommendation at this point. Seems like the folks who work there are just putting in their time, and not particularly concerned with their customers.

The diving itself is fantastic ... both the shore dives and the boat dives out to Klein Bonaire. For someone who wants to spend their vacation getting max bottom time, Bonaire is definitely the place I'd recommend.

Night life? After 5 or 6 dives a day the only thing I wanted to do at night was sleep ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ronscuba:
I've just read about a small condo called Den Laman. Apparently it's located right next to the Sand Dollar diveshop/house reef. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll do more research to confirm.

I booked Den Laman for our 2 week trip next summer because Bonaire Dive and Adventure is on the same property, as is Fish Eye Photography, and the dive pier is right in front. This is the same dive op and pier that Sand Dollar uses. We liked what Den Laman offered over Sand Dollar and are saving money to boot. The only negative I've ever read about Den Laman is that the studio units overlook the parking lot and that sometimes you can hear the compressor from the dive shop cycle on and off. No biggy for us, but other folks may really want an ocean front or ocean view. I'd rather save the money for other things.... :blinking:

drewuw:
I am kicking around taking a dive trip to Bonaire. What is everyones opinion?
How is the Diving? What time of year is best? and most importantly, how is the night life?
Looking forward to some help.

The diving was great and so was the night life, although this really depends on your expectations.

After diving all day and part of the night, we had a great time driving into town for a great dinner, a few drinks, a nice walk, then back to the room to sleep like rocks.

For non-divers, there's an amazing nature preserve and great snorkeling almost anywhere you stop.

If you're looking for excitement, go somewhere else.

Terry

The night life on Bonaire is awesome. \

Dive after dinner.

Dive at midnight

Dive at 4:30 am (I missed that one) to see the sun rise!

That's night life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiveMaven:
I booked Den Laman for our 2 week trip next summer because Bonaire Dive and Adventure is on the same property, as is Fish Eye Photography, and the dive pier is right in front. This is the same dive op and pier that Sand Dollar uses. We liked what Den Laman offered over Sand Dollar and are saving money to boot. The only negative I've ever read about Den Laman is that the studio units overlook the parking lot and that sometimes you can hear the compressor from the dive shop cycle on and off. No biggy for us, but other folks may really want an ocean front or ocean view. I'd rather save the money for other things.... :blinking:

We stayed at Den Laman last fall and we are going back this October. Here is the link to my trip review from last year. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160827&highlight=den+laman

PM me if you would like any additional information.

Duke

DeputyDan:
The night life on Bonaire is awesome. \

Dive after dinner.

Dive at midnight

Dive at 4:30 am (I missed that one) to see the sun rise!

That's night life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favorite dives was 3 a.m. solo dive off of Capt Dons dock....the world was at peace, and I was in heaven.

:coffee:

The diving was great and so was the night life, although this really depends on your expectations.

After diving all day and part of the night, we had a great time driving into town for a great dinner, a few drinks, a nice walk, then back to the room to sleep like rocks.

Right on the money. The diving is awesome. We really enjoyed checking out the town and fine dining each night after diving. Very nice little downtown. However, we did soooo many dives that we were ready for bed pretty early. I really enjoyed Plaza and Toucan diving was great. I will return, soon!

tonka97:
One of my favorite dives was 3 a.m. solo dive off of Capt Dons dock....the world was at peace, and I was in heaven.

:coffee:
Cheng and I always enjoy getting in the water about a half-hour before daylight and watching the "shifts" change ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom